I am going to be visiting northern VT...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Hey guys, it looks like I will be visiting my Parent's summer cabin in West Burke, VT (near St. Johnsbury) around Oct 21-25. I will fly into Manchester, New Hampshire and then drive up from there. Are there any IAP members anywhere near my route or even anywhere near my parents place? I will basically be there to look after my dad while my mom flies to Tennessee for a family wedding so I do not have anything specific to do. Here is the route I will be traveling one I get their by air.

attachment.php

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 410
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Are you bringing your lathe.....I would have you show me how to do the blow technique. I would even take you and your dad to lunch!!!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Cindy,

I am not bringing my lathe since it is full size and might be hard to get on the plane! I would be happy to bring some tools and supplies, though so that I could come for a visit if you are not too far away. If you were thinking of coming to where I will be, then maybe there is someone in the area with a lathe.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Thomas,

It looks like you are somewhat on my route north. I will contact you when I know more about exact dates times.

Matt, depending on when my flight arrives, maybe we could grab a meal or something. A lot of time when I fly up there, I end up spending the night in Manchester either on the way up or on the way back. Maybe we could hook up then for a little longer visit if that happens.

Jerry, I would love to meet you in person. It looks like you are a fair distance away, though. If I was there just for fun, I would be delighted to meet you part way or even drive all the way to where you are but since I am on a mission to look after my dad, I don't think I will have the time. If you were coming the direction I will be, however, that would be great!

ThomJ

Curtis, I'm about 30-40 mins south of St J on I 91, I'd gladly drive up, all I have is time on my hands

Well, I am far away but not far enough to learn if you want to teach!!! I have a small lathe I can fit in the car! We should all make a PLAY DAY!!! I am free most days...but need to arrange things here .......let me know

Last edited:
Ooops...I forgot.....If it smells like snow...feels like snow...or its in the air....I wouldn't be able to drive the beamer there....lets hope the weather stays fine till after you fly home. My little BMW doesn't even like the water on the road and snow??? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh...no way...nada....she sits in the driveway with her tires curled under her body and just refuses to budge....

JerrySambrook

Well Curtis, Unlike Texas, here in New England, things are close together.
It is just over two 1/2 hours for me to get to St Johnsbury.
Went to college right by there for a year.
So, if you want to meet up with some of us, I am sure I can even drag Neil into the occasion as well. This is your call

toddlajoie

I've been lucky in that the NE chapter by default meets about 10 minutes away from where I live, and many nice and talented people drive from hours away each time to meet. I'd be more than willing to take on their travel side of the deal if we wanted to hold a special event meeting sometime/place at Curtis' convenience, considering his main reason for the visit...

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Well Curtis, Unlike Texas, here in New England, things are close together.
It is just over two 1/2 hours for me to get to St Johnsbury.
Went to college right by there for a year.
So, if you want to meet up with some of us, I am sure I can even drag Neil into the occasion as well. This is your call

It would be ABSOLUTELY fantastic if you guys wanted to do some kind of get together. I would be honored to no end! I may even be able to travel a ways to someone's shop. I would need to bring my dad along and he is a cancer survivor that has his fair and bad days. It would be best to not have to go far since he may end up with one of his bad days on the day we plan this event and I would have to cancel. I hate to act like a prima donna, requiring you guys to come to me but since my entire purpose is to come take care of and be with my dad, his needs come first.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I maybe the closest, and everyone is welcome here if I am.

If you are 30-40 min from St. J, you may be too far. I think St. J is 45-50 minutes from my parent's place so you would be around 1.5 hour drive. I can see if my dad would be up to that and if so, i will not mind driving but it is up to him since I am coming to be with him. Hopefully you understand.

clthayer

Party at Charlies shop???

BTW Curtis, if you break down in West Burke don't call West Burke Auto...He charged me an arm and three legs to fix my truck this last summer when I broke down up that way. And be sure to visit the Miss Lyndonville and that big long lake. To bad though I think you will miss the color, it is rather nice in my area this year.

ThomJ

I can understand that Curtis. LOL, its foliage time, maybe I'll take a cruise up that way this week. I'll play leaf peeper for a day.

HSTurning

I did a 420 mile drive just to get out of the house for a day. Had no destination just drove. Let me know what your schedule ends up being.

LEAP

Curtis
I drive that same stretch of highway a couple times a month on my way to Montreal. If I'm headed through while you are there I'd be happy to buy you a uh coffee yeah thats it coffee.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have a little update on my schedule...

My mom is wanting to use a frequent flier ticket for my trip up there but the only availability is to fly in October 19. She does not leave for the wedding until Oct 21 and it does not make any sense for her to drive to Manchester and pick me up on the 19th, then all the way back to VT, then all the way back to Manchester on the 21st for her to fly out.

So, we have decided that I will fly in on the 19th and then just kill a couple of days. I am going to rent a car so I will have transportation. If anyone is in the general area and has time for a visit in the late afternoon/ evening of the 19th, anytime on the 20th, or until mid afternoon on the 21st, please let me know.

I don't mind driving a ways on the either the 19th or 20th and spending the night in one of your area's finest cheap motels. I am up for the adventure!

Then, on the 21st, I will drive back up to Manchester, drop my rental, and pick up my mom's car that she will leave at the airport parking, and then drive back up to my parent's cabin in north Vermont to surprise my dad who thinks he is having to stay by himself!

Then I will be in northern Vermont until Monday the 25th when I will drive back to Manchester and pick up my mom from the airport, give her car back, and fly by to Texas.

I will have Oct. 22-24 completely free to possibly visit some of the folks a little further north if it works out. Of course I will have my dad with me but he enjoys driving around the countryside so we will probably be doing that anyway, as long as it is not too far from their cabin in West Burke(60-75 miles or so)

I would still love to visit as many IAP members as possible on this trip so if you can squeeze me into your busy schedule and are anywhere near where I will be at a given time, PLEASE let me know!

HSTurning

I should be able to get together on th 19th (pm) or on the 20th. I live 20 min from Manchester but work an hour away. I can meet up with you. I would have you over but I dont think the wife (to be) is up for company right now. Alot going on before halloween.

Top Bottom