Finishes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

HSTurning

I posted a thread in the finishing forum and have got alot of friction about anyone posting what they think of the different finishes they have used or still use. What I was trying to do is to get an idea of all the different finish options and what may be hard about the finish and what the benefits of a finish may be. If anyone want to post in there about what they have done I would love to hear it. Plexi-tone and enduro are 2 that I would really like to know more about but I would love to know most if not all the finishes that have been used. The time to do the enduro I know would be a con in my mind. Having to take a week for a finish is crazy to me but I have only done 2 different finishes CA and fiction wax so having always finished my pens before they leave the lathe is the norm to me.

Now to the point of this thread. If anyone has any pens in inventory or display that has a different finish on it could you bring it to the next or one of the next meetings, so I could see and feel the difference of the finish.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I've used Enduro and am happy with the results.

I am not concerned by the time Enduro takes as I differentiate touch time with calendar time. I consider it rather irrelevant how long the pen sits curing before I assemble it. I just have a bunch of the $1 Sterlite trays that I use to hold pens while they cure. I just put both blanks on a bamboo skewer and let it sit on the shelf in my basement. Each tray holds several pens in one state of finishing.

I have had good results with CA/BLO, Shellac/Lacquer and Enduro. The only finish I will not use at home is Friction Polish, I only use that at public events.

HSTurning

Being stuck in a over crowded garage I don't know if I would have the space for making many enduro finished pens. I like to make a pen, finish it and put it in a case. Once we move and I get more organized Enduro sounds like a finish I would like to use. I want to try a few of the finishes out but I really want to see what they look and feel like. No reason to figure out a finish if I dont like the way it looks in the end. Does it change the color? distort the grain? things like that are what I want to find out.
Can't wait to see it/them Neil. Thank You.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Does it change the color? distort the grain? things like that are what I want to find out.

Much like shellac, Enduro causes almost no color change. I know that when I use Shellac / Lacquer on Holly, it stays perfectly white, I have not tried the same experiment with Enduro, but suspect that it would have the same behavior.

I have a couple pens with Enduro curing at the moment, I'll bring them along to next meeting

JerrySambrook

I have a couple of year old pens with the Wood Write lacquer based finishes. They apply like CA, and can be made real deep and shiny, or can be flat where desired.
I shall bring a couple to the next meeting for you.

I almost answered on the main page where you first posted, but decided that I would have started another issue there.

See you in March

Jerry

Crayman

Matt I have the plexi but have not had any turning time, have been using it for stabilizing, I hope to finish the kitchen soon, sunroom is still cold, I will bring a couple to the next meeting.

Top Bottom