Bad Dog Burls meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JerrySambrook

I would like to get a show of hands to those who are coming to the March meeting at Bad Dog Burl source. Rob would like to know if we want to have some barbeque. This way, Rob and I can get things set ahead of time, and we know how much of what to buy for the group, as well as some other things that might come up.
We will have a few minis there to do some actual turning, so if you want to bring some kits, we will probably be able to accomadate making some from scratch as well.
The meeting is to be March 21st, any time after 9:00 am until ...

Once again, Rob is a great guy, and does a marvelous job of touring and explaining the different woods, how these are harvested for sustainability (betcha didn't know burls can be harvested for repeat growth).

Add here, pm me, or call me. Thanks
Jerry

greggas

I'll be attending my first...have wanted to check out the New England meetings since I joined IAP but schedule never worked out....I buy alot from Rob but have never met him in person so this way I can kill two birds so to speak.

Question, being a newbie...should I bring anything ( ie: does the group swap wood, blanks, etc)

Thanks
Greg

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Greg,
Generally there is wood for the taking and some of the casters sell blanks they have made. I will wait and see what the blank makers have to say. Neil, Jerry, and locals there, what are your thoughts.?

JerrySambrook

Thinking?

Alton,
I try not to think, as I get in trouble, or Curtis tosses my posts.

As far as trading, etc. we have in the past, so I don't know why not except, that we will be at a wood suppliers facility for this one.

We will have at least three lathes there to turn on, so if you have a kit or three set to go, that would be great.

Jerry

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Alton,
I try not to think, as I get in trouble, or Curtis tosses my posts.

As far as trading, etc. we have in the past, so I don't know why not except, that we will be at a wood suppliers facility for this one.

We will have at least three lathes there to turn on, so if you have a kit or three set to go, that would be great.

Jerry
Jerry, Would it be possible to do a continuation of the pens for the troops while we are there, just our little group and whatever we bring?

Also, don't blame Curtis for pulling all your posts, I've pulled a lot of them too...:)

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
As far as swapping blanks, I would say we can stick to the same way we have always done it but keep it low keyed and lets try not to bring burls since they specialize in them. I personally will be looking forward to leaving with a few extra pieces aand may even bring one of my 5mpg trucks up with me.

JerrySambrook

Neil et all,
Great idea. Please bring some pre-prepared kits to turn, and we can do a troop donation.
I will bring some stuff to make some more slimlines, comfort-grips, and some supplies to do so.

Alton, You feel like doing some CA finishing?

HSTurning

I still have the 4 or 5 deco pens that I was going to do for the troops. I bought the bushings just never got around to them. I will try and get them glued up and ready. Maybe I'll turn one or 2 before then. Need to get motivated first.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Neil et all,
Great idea. Please bring some pre-prepared kits to turn, and we can do a troop donation.
I will bring some stuff to make some more slimlines, comfort-grips, and some supplies to do so.

Alton, You feel like doing some CA finishing?
I'll bring some CA and join in on that too.

jack barnes

Alton I just got some fresh CA from Monty, so I'll bring it. I owe Charlie some more tape, but will try to get a few extra rolls if anyone whats some.

Jack

timben

I would like to attend. I have been wanting to come to a meeting since I joined IAP...Always seemed to have conflicts in the date. Looks free this time.
Anyone interested in sharing a ride from Concord NH area please PM me. I would prefer not to have to take my F350 guzzler if at all possible.
Looking forward to meeting everyone,
Tim Benjamin

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Tim, we will all be looking forward to meeting you there, I will let the NH folks figure out the rides, I am personally going to take my ancient beat to hell Chevy 3500 for the trip, it should hold lots of burls.

toddlajoie

I'd love to make it

New here to IAP, the guys at Woodcraft turned me on to this place. I'd love to meet the guys at Bad Dog and other NE turners, and hopefully learn a few things (I've been doing this for a few months now, and I'm mostly stumbling through it on my own...)

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
New here to IAP, the guys at Woodcraft turned me on to this place. I'd love to meet the guys at Bad Dog and other NE turners, and hopefully learn a few things (I've been doing this for a few months now, and I'm mostly stumbling through it on my own...)
We will look forward to meeting you there.

JerrySambrook

Todd,
Not that I am a good representative for the club, but you are invited to come by my place anytime (almost). I live in Southwick, and can easily be found in the book.
I also used to live on Pleasant Drive in Feeding Hills, and have to say it was great to have Robinson Park for a back Yard.

Once again, you are welcome to give a yell and stop by

Jerry

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader

Todd,

If you are interested in meeting other turners in addition to the Pen-turning crowd, check out

Central New England Woodturners

http://www.cnew.org/

Their next meeting is the first Thursday in March, they meet in Worcester

or

Central Connecticut Woodturners

http://www.ccwoodturners.org/

Their next meeting is the fourth Tuesday in February, they meet in various locations, this meeting will be in Manchester.

Top Bottom