Woodworking show demo opportunities

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Hey Buckeyes,

Just got this message from our Central Ohio Woodturners President:

Woodworking Show – Jan. 15, 16, and 17.

Looking for mentors to work with people turning pens at the Craft Supply booth.

Craft Supply has ask our club to supply mentors to help turn pens at the show. They need 4 volunteers to work each day. The hours are:

Jan. 15th 11:30 AM until 6:00 PM,

Jan. 16th 9:30 AM until 6:00 PM,

and Jan. 17th 9:30 AM until 4:00 PM.

In exchange for you time as a mentor, you will receive a rebate on you parking fee, free admission to the show and a 20% discount on most of the items in the Woodturners Catalog. You will need to place your order during the show. You will be covered by Craft Supplies liability insurance while working at their booth.

The emphasis will be on turning pens and not on teaching woodturning skills.

Please reply here if you are interested in helping and the date(s) you can be available.

I'm in for the 16th in the afternoon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I did this last year in Hartford and had a great time, so if anyone is on the fence, I encourage you to join the fun. The guy who runs the booth for Craft Supply is Kirk DeHeer who is a regular author for Woodturning Design.

jleiwig

Do you have any more information?

Is it for the whole time? That's a long time to turn pens.
Do they supply everything? Or do I need to bring my own chisels?

thewishman

Here is the scoop:

They furnish all the materials and tools. You can work a half day or a full day. There will be plenty of time for breaks.

Since the COWs (
Central Ohio Woodturners) will be coordinating the demos, I'll forward any commitments to them so they can assure proper coverage.

Let me know of any other questions

arjudy

I was able to help out last year. It was well worth it. I assisted 13 people in making a pen. The youngest was probably about 9 or 10 years old up to 60 years old. Male and female tuners. It is really neat to help someone that has never done any turning to create something that they did not know they could. You get the 20% discount and the satisfaction that you helped someone be creative. I was able to use my gift certificates and also get the 20% discount. I won't be able to help out this year but I highly recommend it to everyone.

I attended This show last year and my wife made a pen on friday, Saturday i made my first pen and it has been all down hill from there i will be at the show Fri and Sat but going with my wife, we have 4 kids so this is one of the times we get to spend some time together(if i spend that time turnning pens i will be attending the show solo next year) But would love to know who might be helping out so i could stop and say hello

thewishman

The show was good! It was very fun to help people make their first pen. Everyone was excited and proud of their accomplishments, whether they were 10 or 75. I'm guessing that Craft Supplies made its money back several times over with new turner start-ups.

We weren't teaching penturning, we were helping people make a pen. It was kind of hard not to add a lot of teaching - so many were eager for more. You remember how fun it was making your first pen.

rjwolfe3

I watched the pen turners yesterday. I love watching the new turners as they realized what they could do.

I also really like the demo for the Wood Mizer. I would love to have one of those but I bet they are expensive.

Top Bottom