Welcome to the Ohio sub-forum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

I met tonight with the owners of the local Woodcraft store and Woodwerks (which includes a Rockler store) and both are happy to host meetings here in Columbus. They are both very nice guys with great facilities.

Now we just need to decide when to meet...

rjwolfe3

Sounds great. Only about an hour drive for me. With enough advance notice I can get out of work for the day. I may not be able to day it every month but I can see what I can get away with. I may be able to bring the wife too depending on her work schedule.

vangaspens

I'm one of those "nice guys" from Wood Werks. Looking forward to meeting you all at our first meeting. Chris...have any idea when this will happen?

thewishman

Sounds like we have a quorum, meeting place options and interest, what do we do now? Rob, you got this started so you're the leader. I'll be happy to rouse the rabble. Charlie (vangaspens) runs the Rockler store at Woodwerks - they have a great classroom (and Ron was gracious to offer it to us.)

Shall we pick a date? Non-Buckeye-home-game Saturdays work best for me, but I'm 5 miles from one store and 18 from the other so any time would be fine for me. Probably safe to pick a couple dates and see if our hosts can accommodate them

rjwolfe3

Leader?:rotfl: Ack, sorry. I'm still pretty new when it comes to penturning but I'm hoping to suck up knowledge from the rest of you. Saturdays are good, Saturday mornings even better in case I can't get off of work. Any ideas for what to do at the first meeting? I'm easy to get along with so anything is fine with me.

rjwolfe3

Bob, is that the Rockler that is closing or a different one up in that area. I would be happy to attend meetings up north as well as south. I love living between Cleveland and Columbus. Let me know if there is enough interest up that way. I know we have a lot more people in Ohio than are chiming in on this forum. I may start pming them and see if they are interested in joining us. I have no woodworking stores in my area so I am willing to travel both south and north to meet with other people as my work schedule allows me to.

melogic

Columbus is good for me as well. Maybe I can bring my wife and daughter as we all turn pens. It is about 2 hours or so away but that is not a problem. The next Saturday that is good for me is October 18th. We are kinda busy with Craft shows right now. Just let me know and I will be there.

vangaspens

On Oct 16,17 & 18 Wood Werks is having their Expo, a huge event with probably 3,000 people visiting us over the three days. If everyone agrees I can set up a demo area with 3 or 4 mini lathes for IAP Ohio Chapter. We can demo and allow newbies a chance to learn the craft. Wood Werks will provide the supplies if needed.

wickford

Just came across this subgroup...I'm in Canton, so I'd love to meet up with the group...I could do Cleveland, or Columbus...Been to Woodwerks lots of times...Love that place!!! Gets me in trouble though...

A couple years ago they had a HUGE box of exotic wood cut offs all sizes, and tons of different species for like 3 bucks a pound...Man I had fun going through that box!!! But I digress...

Love to meet up with fellow Ohio penmakers...

Jeff

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
Rob
Yes, unfortunately, the Rockler's in Parma is closing. The closest to me now is the Woodcraft on the east side of Cleveland. Columbus is a long haul for me. Would like to start something closer to northern Ohio.

rjwolfe3

Charlie,
I'm not sure if I can make it on those dates, but maybe some others from Ohio can. I know there is a lot more penturners that live in Ohio that maybe don't know about the local chapter. Hopefully we can start making more definite plans as we go along.

thewishman

On Oct 16,17 & 18 Wood Werks is having their Expo, a huge event with probably 3,000 people visiting us over the three days. If everyone agrees I can set up a demo area with 3 or 4 mini lathes for IAP Ohio Chapter. We can demo and allow newbies a chance to learn the craft. Wood Werks will provide the supplies if needed.

That would be great opportunity for a demo - there would be PLENTY of people there. Our local woodturning club did a pen demo (Freedom Pens) last year and had lots of interested people.

It may not be a good time for a meeting. There will be lots of people and demos (and good deals!) - not much chance for talking together.

vangaspens

Jeff...welcome to the club....I'm a new member too.

That box of exotics is still here, still @ $3.00/lb. A source for half of my pen and wine bottle blanks, and very popular with other pen turners. The best I found from it was a stick of curly movingue that made six blanks. Also found a nice piece of quarter sawn bocote, and some pretty neat mystery wood. We will probably have a couple of new boxes for the Expo.

George7

I'm not quite sure how to handle this thread, there seem to be several intertwined discussions. I would like to say that I would be interested in meetings that were closer to the Cleveland area. Please don't get me wrong, I'm willing to travel to Columbus for a large event, but it's a 300 mile round trip for me.

wickford

Not much that I know of around the Akron/Canton Area...I normally go to Woodcraft in Bedford, or Woodwerks in Columbus...Or if I'm on the west side of Columbus, I go to Woodcraft there...Pretty limited on specialty stores around here...

I wouldn't mind going to Columbus though...

rjwolfe3

Sorry I haven't been able to get much going lately. I've been really busy with work and some personal things. I haven't had much of a chance to even turn and I have some orders to get done, lol. But I would like to see a meeting in Columbus for those more south/central and a meeting in Cleveland for those that are more northern. Of course anyone from Ohio is welcome to attend either of these meetings. Chris has been in contact with Woodwerks and I think we can get something going there soon. Others of you have mentioned a place in the Cleveland area. If you have a contact with a store there please let us know. I am halfway between Columbus and Cleveland so I am hoping to make it to both locations if I can get away from work that is. Also Dennis is adapting his local chapter logo with our state and I will put that on here when he is done. Not sure what all we will be allowed to do with it but I think it would be cool to have. So lets figure out a good time and day to meet at these locations. And what we would like to do at these meetings. I look forward to meeting you all.

rjwolfe3

Ok I sent out invites to join the Ohio social group. This should allow us to send out group messages to everyone at the same time. If you guys know of people in Ohio that haven't seen our little group let me know or send them a pm to join us. The more the merrier. Thanks.

awolfe

Hey to all. Sorry I haven't posted before now, but things have been kind of busy and hectic for me. Unlike Rob, my weekends are free, but the rest of the weeks I will only be available in the mornings. As long as there is enough advance notice, I'm sure we can get Rob to take a Sat or Sun off. I can't wait for our first meeting.

rjwolfe3

Nov 15th is good for me but not sure about the wife.(awolfe) Her work is messing with her schedule. I think this first meeting will be more a meet and greet then anything else. I can bring the nametags for everyone to fill out. I think that we should bring some examples of our work. I can bring some blanks to swap with other people if you all want to. Charlie, will we be able to do it at the store that day? Also how long do you all want this to be? Are there any close places to eat at? Let's hammer out these details and go from there. If you can't make it, that's ok because I would like to have more meetings after this one.

Robert Taylor

the 3rd saturday of the month is never good for me as that's the day the Buckeye Woodturners & Woodworkers meet at Camp Y-Noah in Clinton, Ohio. some may want to check out BWWT dot org

vangaspens

We'll have opportunities to swap blanks and share ideas, since Saturday has historically been the slowest day of the Expo. There will be complimentary Jersey Mike's Subs, popcorn and drinks, but if you want something more substantial, there are numerous restaurants nearby.

Top Bottom