Turn for Troops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

Hey everyone. During our last meeting, Alan who is the owner of the Woodcraft here in Dayton asked if the IAP would mind coming out to turn pens for the troops on or near Veteran's day. It's Nov. 11th this year, and if we do it on that day, I'd take off work and go turn some slims at their store. They have 6 lathes, so we would need at least that many people, plus some people to drill, glue, and package. I suppose if we got enough people I could also bring my lathe in.

I'd like to know which day on or before the 11th would work for people to show up, so I can get with Alan to discuss setting up the day.

Either post here or PM me with a day you'd be willing to come and if we get enough responses we'll set a date. If not, we'll probably keep it on Veteran's day. He also gave the option of going in the store and buying the kits, and then being reimbursed after turning in completed pens. I'm not 100% sure if you will be reimbursed with more of the same slimline kits, or with money or what.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

Sounds like fun! I hope you get a bunch of people to help.

Thanks Rob, Hopefully sometime you'll be able to make it down this way

Oh..and for everyone else, Chad from Muterspaw Lumber will also be donating some wood to the cause. I spoke with him last night and he is excited about it.

Jim15

Justin with my work schedule I'm not sure what day's I will be off but I will contribute in one way or another, maybe make them here and get them to you when needed.

HawksFeather

With the time involved for me driving to Dayton I would prefer to turn them here. I am willing to pay the postage both ways since I don't live closer.

Jerry

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I would like to participate. My schedule is pretty flexible most of the time (benifits of seniority).

sebo_theos

As often as I and my boss are each in there, I don't think he'll have a problem with me taking the day off to come up. I'll put it on my schedule.

I think the idea of this is awesome, as I have a nephew in the army, another about to join the marines and a step brother in the marines, and a couple cousins that also serve.

jleiwig

Ok. So I talked with Alan again last night.

It looks like maybe the first two Sunday's in November will work out better for everyone. That would be Nov. 1st and Nov. 8th since Veteran's Day is the 11th.

They are open 12-5 Sunday and will have up to 7 lathes set up and provide pen kits, wood and friction polish type finishes, and even CA if you want to do that type of finish.

As far as completing the pen kits yourself that is fine, but Alan can only reimburse you if you buy the pen kits in the store, and you will only be reimbursed with the same pen kits. That is the deal that Berea specifies.

Please let me know if you would like to attend one or both. I would like to give Alan a number of what we are expecting. If you want to bring your kids or spouses to help assemble and package that would be great too. I'm going to try to get a couple people who are interested in turning, but haven't done it to come out and help.

Top Bottom