Rotary Engraver in Ohio? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters > Ohio
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager
Emeritus

Photos: 131

Default Rotary Engraver in Ohio?

Awhile back, someone in Ohio, I believe southern Ohio, mentioned that they did rotary engraving on pen barrels. Of course, I don''t remember who it was. Do any of you do this or know who does this?

Thanks,
Mike
Comfort Inn & Suites
5 Park Center Drive
Wadsworth, OH
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mbroberg is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Hey Mike,

Can't help with the rotary engraver part, but I hear you talked to Adam Dougherty (CPD, has his own engraving company)

I have been having him do a lot of my work lately. Whats the difference with the rotary engraver as opposed to the regular?

Lewis
Old 09-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager
Emeritus

Photos: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinohio View Post
Hey Mike,

Can't help with the rotary engraver part, but I hear you talked to Adam Dougherty (CPD, has his own engraving company)

I have been having him do a lot of my work lately. Whats the difference with the rotary engraver as opposed to the regular?

Lewis
Hi Lewis,

What I need to have engraved is a logo that consosts of three ellipses with lettering in the center. Once it is engraved it has to be color filled. A regular engraver results in one of two things:

1} Due to the curvature of the barrel he lines do not cut deep enough at the top and bottom resulting in the color fill not adhering well. The lines appear broken.

2) In order to get the engraving deep enough at the top and bottom the logo has to be reduced to a size smaller than what the customer wants.

A rotary engraver allows for the blank to be mounted in or on rollers that rotate the barrel as it is being engraved. The rollers and engraver are synced so the engraving is consistent and crisp without being reduced to small.

The engraver I have been using are great to work with and they are doing the best they can but they do not really have the equipment that it takes. I usually send them barrels in batches of 50 and there are always inconsistency between batches. A local, rotary engraver would really help out. If you are referring to CNS, they don't have a rotary that is small enough for a pen barrel. He referred me to someone else, I am waiting to hear from him. In the mean time, I'm still looking.
Comfort Inn & Suites
5 Park Center Drive
Wadsworth, OH
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mbroberg is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I see. I have noticed the difference when the engraving gets close to the edge. I do pretty much try to keep it to two lines I guess!

I'd be interesting in seeing who you come up with for Rotary engraving. it's always nice to have options.

Thank you,

Lewis
Old 09-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Mike
At one time Marla was having barrels engraved and the engraver had a rotary attachment. It could hold the pen barrel but because of its slight taper and curvature, it would slip while being engraved. I made a couple holders for the guy to use. You could do the same and be able to work with your preferred engraver.

The tool can be sized to the optimum length and diameter for his rotary mechanism. One cone end isn't threaded all the way through and the all thread is screwed in until it binds. The other cone end is through drilled to slide over the thread, allowing it to be tightened with the nut, finger tight. You can make it of any material you have on hand.

The green one was for a single line of engraving, holding the blank parallel and evenly to the lasers line of travel.
Attached Thumbnails
laser-holder-1.jpg   laser-holder-2.jpg  
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-12-2016, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager

Photos: 83

Try contacting Fered Wisson, http://www.penturners.org/forum/member.php?u=8314 He has a rotary table for his cnc set up and could do the rotary cuts.
http://www.silverpenparts.com
mredburn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 148

Mike,

I could do it but it would cost around $300 (the price for me to get a rotary device for my laser).

Just kidding of course. I just don't have a rotary yet.

-Ron
brownsfn2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Stan Cook does a great job and is very quick:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/member.php?u=1093

Non Impedite Raditioni Cogitationis.
(Unencumbered by the thought process.)
Tom and Ray Magliozzi
thewishman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads