Oct Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Magicbob

Setting here basking in the glory of our great Aug meeting, it dawned on me, that it is never too early to begin planning the Oct meeting.

So with that said a quick poll.

Location?
Date?
Theme? (Halloween maybe, not ugly but scary pen)
Demo?
Something else?

Come on guys, chime in, it is your chapter.

Argo13

What's a PITH? For my first meeting I really enjoyed meeting everyone at Berea hardwoods. I had never been there and it was fun. I'm interested in any and all demos during meetings! I really want to learn as much from you pros as possible!
Teresa

Hi Teresa, a PITH is "pen in the hat". Everyone makes a pen and brings it to the next meeting. We put the pens in a " hat" and each pull one out to take home.

The IAP does a virtual PITH about every other month in which you are randomly assigned a partner and you send a pen to the person you are paired with. You can find details under the activities manager forum.

Bob's idea of a theme to the PITH sounds like fun. Keep watching here for details on the Ohio meeting and PITH.

Jason

Argo13

I'm in for a PITH. I can demo My pen squaring jig made by rherrel. I can also do a demo on turning between centers if anybody is interested, and if we can get a lathe in there.

David,

They can get us a lathe. We just need to make sure they have a lathe that your sanding face plate will fit. Is your face plate 1x8? Last time I am not sure what size it was but my scroll chuck didn't fit. I am sure they can take care of us though.

Jason

kingkeyman

OK,so we have determined that we will have a PITH exchange. Are the pens going to follow a Halloween theme? or will this be a freestyle event?

Magicbob

I spoke with Kevin at Hartville today.
He is excited to have us back, and will have a lathe set up for us.
He joined IAP while I was on the phone with him, so keep an eye out for him and say Hi.

Argo13

Halloween PITH

Ok guys, here is how the PITH for the Ohio meeting is gonna work.

Theme- Halloween- make a pen for someone else to take home and show off. Put forth your best effort but realize everybody has a different skill level.

If you just can't make a holiday pen bring one of your regular pens. ( the goal is participation and fun not pressure)

If you can't make the meeting but still would like to participate please pm me and I will arrange to bring your pen to the meeting and draw for you to receive one of the pens after.

There is no rule on cost of components but I would plan on entry level kits like slims, cigars and Sierra style pens or similar.

Procedure: turn in your pen when you arrive. A raffle ticket will be assigned to your pen and the other half put in to the hat( which looks like a coffee can).

We will keep all the pens on display. We may have a vote for best pen as well.

Each person who donated a pen to the PITH will pull out a ticket a receive the corresponding pen. The maker of the pen can describe it.

If you pull your own pen put it back and redraw.

The pen is yours to keep.

Remember we want everyone to participate and the answer to the question is " yes you are good enough". All skill levels are welcome.

If anyone has any suggestions to this let me know. We will post any changes in this thread.

And finally if you don't want to participate please come to the meeting anyway. While you won't get to bring a pen home we would still enjoy your company.

Is this post long enough? See you in October.

Jason

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm assuming 2:00 PM.

For anyone new: We have met in the lower level. If you enter from the west side of the Store, you are already on the lower level. If you enter from the front of the store, you will have to go down one level.

Hope for a nice turnout.

Argo13

Guys,

I will not be able to attend Saturday. My wife and are visiting my father who has recently started treatment for bladder cancer. And it is his 80th birthday and our 20th anniversary today. We are leaving in the am for a long weekend.

Have no fear about the PITH. Bob Jackson to the rescue. I got him the tickets so bring your pens.

And somebody post some pics! Have fun! I will see you next time.

Jason

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Guys,

I will not be able to attend Saturday. My wife and are visiting my father who has recently started treatment for bladder cancer. And it is his 80th birthday and our 20th anniversary today. We are leaving in the am for a long weekend.

Have no fear about the PITH. Bob Jackson to the rescue. I got him the tickets so bring your pens.

And somebody post some pics! Have fun! I will see you next time.

Jason

Hope things go as well as possible for your Dad Jason. We look forward to seeing you at the next meeting - take care of your folks! Happy Anniversary also!

Mark

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
QUESTION:

Who is casting with Alumilite and could use some "Mold Release?" I bought ... too much :biggrin: It's free!!!

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
I turned 3 of the new Steampunk pens from PSI. I can do a quick review. Also bought the new visegrip style blank holder for diss-assembly. It works great. I will bring it for show and tell.

Magicbob

I am currently incarcerated at Akron City Hospital, came in for pre-op testing, I should have studied. Turns out I have a small problem with my heart. More tests tomorrow, then meet with the cardiology doctor. With any luck I'll get out tomorrow. Hope to see you all Saturday.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I am currently incarcerated at Akron City Hospital, came in for pre-op testing, I should have studied. Turns out I have a small problem with my heart. More tests tomorrow, then meet with the cardiology doctor. With any luck I'll get out tomorrow. Hope to see you all Saturday.

Hope things go fine - Take care of yourself!

Magicbob

Great meeting today, 7 people out on a cold rainy Saturday.
Demo was super, Thanks to King Key Man we all now have a better understanding of turning between centers.
The pith was cool, I'll post pics later.
Next meeting should be Dec. 13 keep an eye out for details

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
Great meeting. A lot of information was exchanged. I learned some things. To bad only 7 members showed up, but still was a great meeting. Be sure and come to the December meeting.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks to Magicbob for organizing and kingkeyman for the demo's. I have been waiting for the sanding jig demo - not complicated, but its so nice to see it explained in person!!!

Thanks also to Bob Jackson for donating his retirement savings to keep us supplied with kits and blanks!

Great day folks! We also missed our other regulars, we will tar and feather you next time! (OK, sometimes life throws us more serious responsibilities...)

Be well!

Top Bottom