Blanks from our last meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

Ok I have five blanks that I picked up during the blank exchange and was wondering if anyone could remember what they were. (That is if I can figure out how to post the pics)

Attachments

• Picture 033csmall.jpg
    Picture 033csmall.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 250
  • Picture 035csmall.jpg
    Picture 035csmall.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 387
  • Picture 036csmall.jpg
    Picture 036csmall.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 249
  • Picture 037csmall.jpg
    Picture 037csmall.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 349
  • Picture 038csmall.jpg
    Picture 038csmall.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 428
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

For some reason any time I try to edit the original post it freezes on me. So I add some comments here instead. I think the first and third blanks came from Vangaspens and are spalted. I think the second blank came from thewishman and is home stabilized. The fourth I have no idea and the fifth was initially with a group of the same blanks. I got one of the last ones left. It is some type of two toned exotic. Any guesses would be great as well. I know that there were more of these same blanks that others grabbed and I am hoping they can remember what they are.

DSallee

Hey Rob, interesting blanks...

I can only comment on the third one and maybe the last one... I have one like #3 that I got in a swap at our IAP picnic a few months ago and it is marked "Spalted Maple"?? It also looks kinda like Spalted Birch??
BirchSpalted.jpg

The last one maybe Desert Ironwood?
IronwoodDesert.jpg

Dave

thewishman

Most of the blanks I brought were from other blanks swaps or from an auction I won here about a year ago. So I'll go with FIG wood (found in garage) for that one.

I got a piece of the last wood, too. It looked like purpleheart with sapwood to me. Now if things would warm up a bit, I could actually turn some of those beautiful blanks.

vangaspens

Rob,

The third one is spalted maple from my stash and the last one is purpleheart burl also from my stash (be careful turning this one...very brittle! Stabilize it with thin CA as you approach the finished dimension.)

Last edited:

melogic

Hey Rob,
I may be wrong (have been there before), but I think the second piece is a piece of Cedar that I tried out my vaccuum/pressure pot on a few months ago. I took a piece of that to the meeting and I think that may be it, not quite sure.

rjwolfe3

Charlie,
Is the last one different then the one you handed to me during the meeting? I didn't take a picture of that one because you told me what it was.

Thanks guys for helping me with these.

Top Bottom