August Meeting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

I know it's not even July, but from our last discussion it seems like a July meeting happening is unlikely. So now we are on to August's meeting.

I'm pretty sure I can still secure the Woodcraft classroom for August 15th. They currently do not have any classes scheduled. I will double check with their classroom guy tomorrow as he has Monday's off.

Would anyone be interested in a meeting here in Dayton?

Right now traveling is out of the question for me, but I could handle a meeting here at the Dayton store. They have 6 mini lathes and all the tools and accessories you could want.

The reason I post this is because I don't want to take away from another meeting, but maybe we need to think about having a southern ohio meeting and northern ohio meeting?

rjwolfe3

We have talked about having both northern and southern meetings but choose a more central area to get the most people involved. I am not opposed to having as many meetings as we can in various areas but I am not sure how many would be able to attend the meetings. I do know that Grub was working on getting his shop set up to be able to meet in Northern Ohio. If you plan a southern meeting, I will try to make it. I am currently missing a reliable vehicle to make it to meetings but am working on that. Start a thread here about the interest level for a southern Ohio meeting and we will see what happens.

jleiwig

First I'll double check with Woodcraft that they are still ok with us using the meeting room, then I'll post about interest in a southern Ohio meeting.

jleiwig

Ok. I went ahead and reserved the woodcraft classroom here in Dayton for Aug 15th from 9 until 12. I need to know how many plan on attending, so I can forward it to them. They will supply lathes and tools, but any other supplies are on us. They also have coffee there as well.

I need some ideas on what to do during the meeting, and anyone who wants to demonstrate something...like maybe turning pendants? Or anything else that anyone is interested in.

Robert Taylor

1st and 3rd saturdays are never good for me as i belong to two other clubs using those saturdays. i can not attend this meeting. i have noticed that other chapters meet on weekday's in the evenings and i even attended the michigan chapters meeting on a sunday afternoon. if the response is low you might consider other days of the week.

jleiwig

1st and 3rd saturdays are never good for me as i belong to two other clubs using those saturdays. i can not attend this meeting. i have noticed that other chapters meet on weekday's in the evenings and i even attended the michigan chapters meeting on a sunday afternoon. if the response is low you might consider other days of the week.

This was the only day that Woodcraft has available. They are booking clear through october right now. They have a very big and nice classroom with 6 lathes and tons of tools, so they are always popular.

You are always welcome to organize a nothern meeting if this meeting doesn't suit your needs.

rjwolfe3

Northern Ohio meeting is coming up once Grub32 gets all moved in. We just have to have some patience.

Justin,
I am working on my vehicle situation and hope to attend. Will let you know once I know more.

And our next meeting at WoodWerks is coming up in October. More details to follow.

Bob,
Would a Wed or Thurs evening meeting interest you if we can find a place to hold it?

nylajune

Dayton is a 3 hour drive for me. 6 hours on the road plus meeting time would fill my whole day. Columbus is still best for me....about half the drive time. But, I understand everyone wanting to schedule meetings in their areas. I guess I would be interested in a southern Ohio or southeastern Ohio meeting.

jleiwig

No problemo guys. Just let me know anything you would like to demonstrate or have demonstrated and I'll see if I can find someone to set it up.

bobindayton

Justin, thanks for stting up a meeting in our backyard. Unfortunately I have a church event that day and will not be able to attend. Look forward to hear what takes place andseeing pictures.
Bob

jleiwig

Ok...so I and Chris are going to be the only people at the meeting?

If that's the case, I think Woodcraft would rather use their space for other activities.

Come on guys! I've given over a months notice, so people can get their schedules cleared.

If I don't hear from others that they will be attending then we will probably have to cancel the meeting.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
If it weren't for the fact that I have committed to working at our church's festival on that day I would be there.

Grizz

Banned
Woodcraft, Dayton on the 15th. Unless I get an interview. I'll probably be there. That is 'my' woodcraft store.

PTJeff

I just got the pm about the meeting. I'll be vacationing with the family before the kids go back to school.. Sorry, but thanks for the invite

jleiwig

Woodcraft, Dayton on the 15th. Unless I get an interview. I'll probably be there. That is 'my' woodcraft store.

I wish you luck with an interview. Although I hope you interview at someplace that is open monday-friday so you have your weekends free to play!

HawksFeather

If the good Lord is willing and the creek doesn't rise, I will be there. It will be good to put a face with some of the Ohio names.

Jerry

WhiteHare

Jut found out about this from Hawksfeather and if he'll stop by to pick me up I may buy his lunch if he'll let me ride along....

Richard

HawksFeather

I can bring a bunch of supplies used and calls in various stages. It will give people an idea of what is needed. I don't want to take all the time since calls is not the main topic.

Jerry

jleiwig

I can bring a bunch of supplies used and calls in various stages. It will give people an idea of what is needed. I don't want to take all the time since calls is not the main topic.

Jerry

I'd tend to disagree. I'm sure everyone would be interested. For example, there has been some requests for a pendant demo, and that's not pens, but it's turning related. I understand if you don't want to do a demo, but I know I for one would love to learn about game calls.

jleiwig

Ok. So how does this sound so far.

-We will have a display area for people to show their creations off.
-I'll cook up some sort of demo, it will either be a pendant demo or maybe casting.
-I'll have to check with Woodcraft on that though due to fumes.
-Hawksfeather has generously been pestered into giving some info on call making.
-I'd love to do a blank swap, but I don't have that many blanks currently. I could bring in some pieces of Osage that are still in tree form if you like. If I had a bandsaw I'd cut them up!

Any other ideas or things people want to see?

Top Bottom