Wlecome to the NE Florida Chapter Forum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dennisg

I live in the Lakewood section of Jacksonville. I have practically no experience in pen turning (about 15 pens) I hope to learn enough to make fine writing instruments. I'm up for a gathering and would enjoying meeting and learning from you more experienced pen turners. dennis

NE FLA Chapter

Hey guys, I'm on the Northside of Jax, Black Hammock Island. Relatively new to this addiction as Dennis is. I am looking forward to meeting some of the pen making gurus in this area face to face.:):):)

VisExp

I'm in Palm Coast but travel to Jacksonville most days for work. I was thinking about approaching the Woodcraft store by Regency square and asking them if we could use their classroom for a regular get together. My local woodturning club meets there once a month, perhaps we could set something similair up.

It would also be nice to meet at someones workshop. If you guys are up for a drive to Palm Coast we could spend a couple hours talking and turning pens in my workshop.

Let me know what you think.

Wood Craft sounds good, that thought had crossed my mind as well. It would also be interesting to meet at different shops. My shop is on my carport, not much but it is sufficient for now. the only thing is right now with all the rain we've had the skeeters will tote ya' off. What ever we can work out will be fine.:)

dennisg

I think the Woodcraft location is a great idea. I've spent a good deal of money there. I took the pen turning class at that location also. That was the beginning of the adiction. We must have a few more NE Florida pen turners out there? Speak up, dennis

VisExp

Keith,
count me in also. I am about 5 minutes from woodcraft.
Bill

Hey Bill, long time, no hear! I'll keep you posted. I'm not as close to the Woodcraft as you. The turners club meeting is the 2nd Monday of each month. I plan on talking to the folks at Woodcraft then unless I am in the area sooner.

VisExp

I spoke with the folks at Woodcraft and they were receptive to the idea of us holding a monthly meeting in their classroom. Even offered to advertise it in their mail out pamphlet.

With regards to dates. The second and third Monday of each month are not available, the wood turning and woodworking clubs meet on those days. They normally have classes on Tues, Wed, Thurs, Sat and sometimes Sunday. So our options started looking slimmer.

How would the fourth Monday evening of the month sound to everyone? That would make the first meeting on Sept. 22nd.

Post to this thread if that would work for you or not and maybe we can start firming up a date.

VisExp

The fourth Monday sound great with me. I think we have missed the Sept. 22 meeting. How about Oct. 20. I'll be looking forward to seeing everyone. dennis

Ooops. You're right :redface: When I wrote my post, I looked up at my calendar and assumed I'd flipped the page.

However, the fourth Monday of October would be Oct. 27th. not the 20th. :biggrin:

If anything we could be the chapter that is the most "calendar challenged" :biggrin:

dennisg

We've heard from 3 local pen turners about using Woodcraft on the 4th Monday as a gathering place. I'm going over there this morning and will let them know we are interested, unless I hear differently.
I saw something about developing chapter logos and don't remember what I read. I'm in the screen printing business and could have shirts for our meeting if we find out what's allowed. I saw the logo with a rocker with the chapter name. Let me know what you think. Let's get started, dennis

dennisg

I went by Woodcraft this morning. All we need to do is contact Janet, who was off today, to firm up a meeting. I was told that some of the employees would most likely be interested also. Let's pick a time, I would suggest 6 PM as most of the other meetings start around that time. Keep up the momentum while we have the ball rolling. dennis

run91

Hi everyone, It is nice to have a NE Florida forum. I live in Fleming Island. I started to turm pens off and on about a year ago, but now I am really getting in to it. Love to meet some of the turners here in Jax.
Bob

VisExp

I went by Woodcraft this morning. All we need to do is contact Janet, who was off today, to firm up a meeting. I was told that some of the employees would most likely be interested also. Let's pick a time, I would suggest 6 PM as most of the other meetings start around that time. Keep up the momentum while we have the ball rolling. dennis

Dennis, when I went to Woodcraft I spoke with Janet. I did not confirm a date with her as I wanted to get feedback from everyone as to which dates would work. It seems the fourth Monday at 6pm is ok with everyone, so I will give her a call and confirm it with her.

dennisg

4th Monday at 6 PM

Sounds good to me. Lets plan an activity for our get together. Could we have a show and tell or how about Keith teaching us how to photograph our pens? I've got cameras, tripods, homemade light difuser box, but I'm still short the lighting. Any other ideas for our first meeting? dennis

VisExp

Show and tell is a must! :biggrin:

I can do a demo on taking pictures of pens, that is a great idea.

I think for the first meeting introductions, show and tell, plan some demos for futures meetings, photography demo should cover it.

VisExp

I spoke with Janet at Woodcraft today. We are on for the fourth Monday of the month. So that will make the first meeting Oct. 27th at 6pm. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

I also spoke with GlassScratcher and he will do a demo on PR casting at one of the meetings.

VisExp

Lets get this up and running. I have 3 other pen turners that want to get involved!!!!!! Any one in the Orange Park area?

Hi Horace

The NE Florida Chapter is up and running. We have had two meetings already. Our next meeting is scheduled for Jan. 26th at 6pm at Woodcraft. Hope you can join us.

Thelt

Newbie here

Oldcaptrusty advised me about the IAP NEFLA meetings. Does that also include SE Georgia? I'm in Kingsland, Ga. I have turned about a dozen or so pens and they were OK. But, lacking something in the finish. They looked great right after I finished them. The next day they looked like bare wood again. Looking to learn more on finishing and just saw the cartridge pens and thought about doing a few of them.

wjskip

We even allow people from Georgia !!!!

Don't believe that you should have any problems crossing the border as long as your papers are in order. No visa required for short stays. Master Cards are however welcome.
Look forward to meeting you.
Bill

Top Bottom