Burl Arrival

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Druid

Just a "heads-up" post.

I worked out a deal with a good friend at LeeTreeWoodWorks and purchased 1400 lbs of a wide assortment of burls (Aussie, Exotic, and Ancient Karri) to include a large 300 lb Amboyna burl stump. The wood is packed tight on two 4 x 4 x 36" pallets and should arrive this Friday or Monday of next week. I'll be breaking down the pallet within a few weeks and cutting pen blanks (as well as other blanks) if anyone is interested... I'll be posting photo's of the pieces/blanks, let me know if your interested. My wife was generous to give up her half of the two car garage to temporarly store the wood but I can almost guarentee that her mood will change after the first snow! :biggrin:

Happy New Year

Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

davinci27

I'm always interested in burls. pen blanks, but also bowls and scraps. I'm putting together my pressure pot this week, so I'll be looking for some casting stuff in the coming months.

GouletPens

I'm interested in some burl pen blanks, particularly with a natural edge on the end (like amboyna burl). If you have any, I'd be very interested.

Druid

Just got the call from Southern Frieght, the "package" is scheduled for Tuesday Jan 6 delivery. I was excited (felt like Santa was comming a second time!) until I found out the delivery vehicle is an 18 wheeler. My mood went down hill after that. I'm not sure how he/she is going to get in and out of my subdivision and how we are going to lug over 1400 lbs on a hand pallet up a short but fairly steep hill into the garage. Told my son to gather as many of his high school buddies as he can. Any ideas?

Texatdurango

Just got the call from Southern Frieght, the "package" is scheduled for Tuesday Jan 6 delivery. I was excited (felt like Santa was comming a second time!) until I found out the delivery vehicle is an 18 wheeler. My mood went down hill after that. I'm not sure how he/she is going to get in and out of my subdivision and how we are going to lug over 1400 lbs on a hand pallet up a short but fairly steep hill into the garage. Told my son to gather as many of his high school buddies as he can. Any ideas?
Reminds me of when I bought my Grizzly metal lathe. It was very heavy and was delivered via an 18 wheeler as well. My drive is 800' long up hill all the way and steep part of the way. Luckily the truck driver saw what I was facing and felt sorry for me so together we push/pulled the pallet dolly up to the house. You have the right idea... get some strong helpers!

I am subscribing to this thread, please make sure you add a note here when the wood arrives and you start putting it out for sale.

Draken

I've had 18 wheeler deliveries to my house, also in Stafford, VA. As long as there is a cross street after your house, the truck should have no problem turning around. Did you get Lift Gate delivery? If so, then the truck driver is responsible for getting it off the truck and usually into the garage unless there are any "obstacles". If you didn't get Lift Gate, they you will need to unload the truck, and the driver is not obligated to assist you.

Looking forward to seeing some photos of the haul, can't say the same about the wife (as she clutches the check book closer to her...)

Druid

LOL.. I have gate lift delivery but Southern Frieght said all they are responsible for is getting the merchandise off the truck. The driver has a hand pallet jack and I will be providing a few pizza's for the local High School boys to help push it up the driveway hill into the garage. PM me Draken or I'll PM you with my ph#, we live less than a mile from one another and should try & get together.

Cheers

Druid

This statement was issued this AM.
Just another curve ball to add to the challenge!!!

WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING.

LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPING ACROSS THE TENNESSEE VALLEY ON TUESDAY WILL TRACK NORTH INTO THE GREAT LAKES TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY. THIS LOW WILL HELP TO TRANSPORT A SURGE OF MOISTURE INTO THE MID ATLANTIC. WITH COLD AIR TRAPPED CLOSE TO THE SURFACE...WINTRY PRECIPITATION IN THE FORM OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN IS EXPECTED.

WHILE THE EXACT MAGNITUDE OF THE COLD AIR REMAINS SOMEWHAT UNCERTAIN AT THIS TIME...THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SLEET AND...OR FREEZING RAIN. THIS INCLUDES THE POSSIBILITY OF A QUARTER INCH OR MORE OF ICE ACROSS THE WATCH AREA. PREPARATIONS SHOULD BE MADE NOW FOR A POTENTIALLY HIGH IMPACT WINTER WEATHER EVENT TUESDAY THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY.

It could make it easier to move up the hill if we had a large sled and metal spike shoes LOL.

GouletPens

I think this kind of goes without saying, but you're going to carry the burls one at a time, right? No matter how many teens you can get to help, I would never try to move a load that large at one time up a hill without some serious equipment. Maybe rent a Bobcat or outdoor forklift?

marcruby

I'll be watching for your ad. Most interested in bowl blanks or whole burls suitable for turning. Anything except the ancient Karri burl, which is murder to turn - looks good when you are done though.

Marc

Druid

WhooHoo!

Houston..... The Burl has landed!!!

This shipment will take me a week or so to sort through and four to five months to cut the entire shipment. I'll be posting blanks, & end caps on the individual classified soonest. Just curious, does anyone need thin strips? I use them for segmenting. How about small burl end caps?

Druid

Ok, this is the first time I have posted any photo's of mine in a thread so hope they look ok. Here's a few pic's of the 1400 lbs of burl that arrived last night. I feel like a kid with his favorite "cookie jar":)

1_DSC_0677_edited-2.jpg

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=7255
1_DSC_0679_edited-5.jpg

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=7257

woody350ep

Holy............Freakin..............Crap!!!!! Are you cutting all of these up? I would be interested in some as they sit for bowls. PM me if this is possible

jimofsanston

Hey i would be interested in some pen blanks. Just starting out. I live in the Richmond area (Sandston near Richmond International). I travel to Fredericksburg and Stafford a lot. I work as an engineer for the Finacial and Physical Sercuties Trade. If you need help i may be able to give you a hand If time permits.

Druid

Excellent! Your in Henrico County, know the area pretty well. Let's try & hook up on a day your up here. I work in the DC area but can arrange to play hookie for a day :biggrin: The IAP members here have lots of blanks and additional products for sale, just keep your eyes open on the threads. When you get up this way, we can go through the bin & you can select, the 14" band saw will do the rest. What type of turning have you or are you planning to do?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Jim -

I'm not particularly handy, but I make great soda and pizza runs. Let me know if you need any help with that pile as I'm just up the road in Woodbridge.

Hey give my a price on 50 7/8 5 1/4 pen blanks. a mixed batch but mostly Amboyna Thanks Horace
Just a "heads-up" post.

I worked out a deal with a good friend at LeeTreeWoodWorks and purchased 1400 lbs of a wide assortment of burls (Aussie, Exotic, and Ancient Karri) to include a large 300 lb Amboyna burl stump. The wood is packed tight on two 4 x 4 x 36" pallets and should arrive this Friday or Monday of next week. I'll be breaking down the pallet within a few weeks and cutting pen blanks (as well as other blanks) if anyone is interested... I'll be posting photo's of the pieces/blanks, let me know if your interested. My wife was generous to give up her half of the two car garage to temporarly store the wood but I can almost guarentee that her mood will change after the first snow! :biggrin:

Happy New Year

Jim

Top Bottom