International Association of Penturners

International Association of Penturners (http://www.penturners.org/forum/)
-   NoVa/Capitol (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f81/)
-   -   Burl Arrival (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f81/burl-arrival-40846/)

Druid 12-31-2008 10:25 AM

Burl Arrival

Just a "heads-up" post.

I worked out a deal with a good friend at LeeTreeWoodWorks and purchased 1400 lbs of a wide assortment of burls (Aussie, Exotic, and Ancient Karri) to include a large 300 lb Amboyna burl stump. The wood is packed tight on two 4 x 4 x 36" pallets and should arrive this Friday or Monday of next week. I'll be breaking down the pallet within a few weeks and cutting pen blanks (as well as other blanks) if anyone is interested... I'll be posting photo's of the pieces/blanks, let me know if your interested. My wife was generous to give up her half of the two car garage to temporarly store the wood but I can almost guarentee that her mood will change after the first snow! :biggrin:

Happy New Year

Jim

davinci27 12-31-2008 10:59 AM

I'm always interested in burls. pen blanks, but also bowls and scraps. I'm putting together my pressure pot this week, so I'll be looking for some casting stuff in the coming months.

keithkarl2007 12-31-2008 11:31 AM

definitely, looking for large pieces for bowls and platters, and maybe a few pen blanks.

jskeen 12-31-2008 11:40 AM

would be interested in some rough edge, tapered, or blanks with voids for casting, if the price is right.

GouletPens 12-31-2008 12:10 PM

I'm interested in some burl pen blanks, particularly with a natural edge on the end (like amboyna burl). If you have any, I'd be very interested.

woody350ep 12-31-2008 12:23 PM

Absolutely interested, especially in the Kauri

Druid 12-31-2008 02:07 PM

Just got the call from Southern Frieght, the "package" is scheduled for Tuesday Jan 6 delivery. I was excited (felt like Santa was comming a second time!) until I found out the delivery vehicle is an 18 wheeler. My mood went down hill after that. I'm not sure how he/she is going to get in and out of my subdivision and how we are going to lug over 1400 lbs on a hand pallet up a short but fairly steep hill into the garage. Told my son to gather as many of his high school buddies as he can. Any ideas?

babyblues 12-31-2008 02:16 PM

You wouldn't have a problem getting it into my basement. :biggrin:

Texatdurango 12-31-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFeagans (Post 780334)
Just got the call from Southern Frieght, the "package" is scheduled for Tuesday Jan 6 delivery. I was excited (felt like Santa was comming a second time!) until I found out the delivery vehicle is an 18 wheeler. My mood went down hill after that. I'm not sure how he/she is going to get in and out of my subdivision and how we are going to lug over 1400 lbs on a hand pallet up a short but fairly steep hill into the garage. Told my son to gather as many of his high school buddies as he can. Any ideas?

Reminds me of when I bought my Grizzly metal lathe. It was very heavy and was delivered via an 18 wheeler as well. My drive is 800' long up hill all the way and steep part of the way. Luckily the truck driver saw what I was facing and felt sorry for me so together we push/pulled the pallet dolly up to the house. You have the right idea... get some strong helpers!

I am subscribing to this thread, please make sure you add a note here when the wood arrives and you start putting it out for sale.

jskeen 12-31-2008 03:27 PM

If you want high school boys to do any real work, you better plan on supplying pizza :-)