Young buck making a go of it...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

My name is Brian Goulet, I'm 24 and I've been turning for just over a year. I would write my whole story, but I've already done so on my blog at http://blog.gouletpens.com. I was led to pen turning purely by divine orchestration and I've since been blessed with having sold over 400 pens and 40+ wine bottle stoppers. I've recently committed myself to turning as a full-time career and I aim to bring the beauty of rare woods and fine craftsmanship to the general population.

I'm about a week away from officially licensing 4 products through my alma mater, Virginia Tech, and I'm psyched to truly take things to the next level. I love turning pens. I eat sleep and breathe it!!!! My ultimate vision is to build a company that showcases individual crafstmen and womens' artistry with turnings that are both functional and beautiful. If you are so inclined, you can visit my website at www.GouletPens.com, my blog (above), friend me on Facebook or check out my group "I love my Goulet pen", message me on LinkedIn or Sawmill Creek or of course here at the IAP!!

I'm interested in getting to know more pen turners on the national and international level. Without the internet, I would never have been able to do what I am doing now, so the least I can do is share what I know and work to further the art we all so dearly love!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Nice site and interesting story. You are actually the third or fourth person I know of that has managed to turn while living in an apartment. One actually set up shop in a bedroom closet. Your patio shop actually looks roomy compared to some shops I have had. I started in a 10X10 shed, moved that to a 6'X14' left over of my parents garage. that is where I started turning pens and used it for over 2 years. it actually work pretty well if I kept it clean. I then was able to move it to a 24'X24' garage of my nephews. I was totally lost in that space lol. I now have a 16'X20"dedicated, heated, insulated and air conditioned shop just 10 steps out my own back door. It only took me 27 years to make that journey so you are moving jsut a bit faster than I did.
I wish you all the luck int he world with your business. you are ont he right track with your blog, it is really good reading.

RichB

Welcome from Michigan. Your website is the best. Many on us have a story but it is hard to put it into words. You did a great job. Best of luck to you in the future.

BullDurham

Welcome Brian, I'm just south of you out side of Richmond. You have been busy making Pens and doing a real nice job at it to and You have a very nice website there.

GouletPens

Thank you

Thank you everyone. I feel very welcome here and though I'm still learning a lot of the courtesies of the IAP forum, I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with the helpfullness and genuiness of everyone I've met. I look forward to many years of conversations with all of you.

RMB

Nice website, looks like you can completely customize a pen pretty easily! All you need is a few really high end pens to complete your line. The "how a pen is made" section is very interesting, good to let people know that these are handmade, or else they might not beleive it.

Question: what kind of finish are you using? Couldn't be CA because that won't patina. You don't have to tell us if it's a "secret formula", but it looks good, and must be reliable if you do that many pens. Personally, I HATE finishing, of any kind of woodworking, so I'm always looking for an easier, less hassle way to get it done. CA seems to be the only thing that produces a durable finish and can be done fairly quickly, but the fumes are killer, especailly when you work in a 24sf shop. Friction polish is easy, but it wears off too quickly, and gets streaky if over applied. I'd be interested to know.

Last edited:

GouletPens

My finish

RMB....yes, my finish is a trade secret, if you must know;) I'll give a little teaser though, and say that since I got the Beall buffing system, life has been easier for me. If you hate finishing, then CA is not for you. It takes a lot of time and practice to get it right. I don't use CA. I have made a few with it, and my customers think it feels "fake" and plastic-like. Almost anything you do (besides CA) is going to wear off and allow the wood to patina. It's just part of the deal. Set the expectation as such and you won't have any problems. I personally love finishing. It's actually one of my favorite things. I love doing dying, staining, different types of finishes, chemical patinas, etc. The finish will make or break all the rest of your hard work....so you should learn to love it!

RMB

I use a buffing system as well, a homemade triple. And it is the ONLY thing that makes a CA finish possible and bearable for me. It's nice to be able to buff a 400 grit finish into a mirror shine in a few seconds.

No worries about the secret... I just won't tell you.... uh... My Moms brownie recipe!!! HAH!

tipsteve

Welcome aboard. Very nice site. Your marketing approach is similar to the one I used, if the testimonials are any indication. I found that I lost interest in turning 50 + pens at a time. It is a great plus also if you wife likes to turn. Count your blessings. ;-)

Top Bottom