Is this where the 12-step program meets?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Uncle Mikey

My name is Michael, and I'm a penaholic.

It all started innocently enough, as these things often do. I was browsing through some tool catalogs, looking for some things I wanted to buy, and I kept seeing tiny lathes everywhere. I thought of the turning tools in the garage that I'd picked up years before at garage sales. "No," I thought, "I don't have time to learn how to use a lathe. There's no space left, either." But the pictures kept taunting me, urging me to bring one home and try it out. The gleam of those polished rails, the visions of shavings flying everywhere .....

Alas, I succumbed. Soon a strapped heavy carton appeared on my doorstep. Tentatively, I tore it open, revealing the machinery cradled in its shapely foam. Up onto the bench it went! Parts unwrapped and grease removed, I slowly waxed its shiny metal, gazing upon its ancient form, thinking of the hundreds of years over which it had been perfected. I got out my tools, feeling their handles in my hands in a way I'd never done before. Cautiously, I started up the grinder, and watched the fine sparks shooting from the new blue wheel I'd put on just days before.

Nervously I approached the machine. And I made shavings! Fine slices of wood piled up on my sleeves and bench and my glorious new machine. It was intoxicating. After an hour I stopped and stared down at my wonderful creation, an expensive and lumpy dowel! I was hooked.

Orders for tools and pen parts and wood soon followed, until every flat surface was covered with piles of little treasures, drawers were stuffed with bushings and transmissions, boxes sat on the chairs for lack of space to unpack them. Hours were spent watching wood slowly change shape and beauty emerge from sawn roughness and bottles of finish. I could not stop!

So I'm here to admit my addiction, and to thank the many of you that inspired my madness. I couldn't have done it without you. So rather than just lurking and reading I thought I'd say hello. Pens everywhere! My goodness, this is fun.

- Uncle Mikey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL, great intro, Uncle Mikey.:biggrin:

I can see that you will fit in just nicely. You are already as nuts as some of the old timers here.:biggrin:

Greetings from Wales

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome into the madness! Find out which yours is:
Stress relief;
Daily quest for making something;
Making side money;
Making more money;
To satisfy that creative urge;
Searching for that elusive perfect pen;
All of the above! :biggrin:

altaciii

I don't think any of us have put it quite that way, although all of us shared in the excitement, as you seem to have done, of tasting that first turning. Great intro and welcome to our little circle of turners annon.

Daniel

Welcome Uncle Mikey, My name is Daniel and I am a pen Aholic. This would be the place to meet for Penanymous meetings. although I have seen many bad cases make extraordinary progress with there illness here. You do appear to be beyond help.
We are not in the habit of denying membership though but there are a few requirments.
1. in no way or at any time will you question the need to personally posses at least three hundred of your own pens. (great reason to make anouther one)
2. Come to fully realize that a $100 dollar pen is a low priced one.
3. come to realize that a power greater than ourselves can and will make the decisions in our lives, henceforth greater power will be referred to as, Shop, Lathe, Tools or Wife.
4. 50 dollar pen blanks are better than 50 cent ones. they just are. sometimes recovery requires that we believe without complete understanding.
5. Admit that sharp is never sharp enough and tirelessly pressue better techniques for getting that edge on your tools.
6. Realize and admit to yourself, God, and anouther Human being that you are powerless to avoid buying just one more tool, blank, kit. you name it.

good luck and remember we are here for you.
Daniel

markgum

Welcome. Your intro is perfect for this crazy bunch. We all are a little... (well,,, some more than others) shall I say... Tweeked..:biggrin:

Fred

Mikey, it seems that you have definitely been smitten with the 'pen turning bug.' It seems to be a malady that is very contagious as most of us here also suffer from it.

BTW, it is $1000's of dollars well spent in a vain attempt to find a cure for this ailment.

sdemars

Did you know you can go online to CSUSA and order 24/7 . . . .

This worked for me fine for a while, so I switched to the phone, but the wife said a VISA Card stapled to the shop wall next to the phone with a CSUSA catalog hanging from a string was too much . . . . :(

MarkHix

Howdy!
When you've been here a while, say 10 minutes, you can join the rationalization class. The cost of that new lathe spread over the next two years and 300 pens is only pennies a day. And think of the savings you can have by having TWO mandrels--you can save sooo much TIME by turning on two mandrels...(honest, you can). And then the "other" kind of skew will save you extra by doing a slightly different cut faster.

Next, when you add bowls to the mix (insert stoppers, yoyos, etc.....) you can lower your costs even more. I figure I save thousands a year this way.

amosfella

There is only one possible cure for this 'ailment' you find yourself afflicted with. Spend 12 - 14 hours a day in front of the lathe making stuff.
It's actually probably cheaper than a crack habit too you know.

nava1uni

Welcome from San Francisco. If you weren't completely addicted when you started, you most certainly are now. Once you start reading here and trying out all the new techniques, kits, finishes, challenges it will difficult to get up in the morning and go to work. As you pass by the lathe, it will quietly whisper your name and you will find yourself stopping for just a moment and then when you look up the day has passed and the shavings are deeper on the floor and you must just try one more thing before you retire for the evening to rest and begin again tomorrow.

Uncle Mikey

Thanks eveyone! As I said, you've all been very inspiring so far. I've even done a few decent CA/BLO finishes with your hints and turned a dozen tru-stone blanks. I figure if I give up sleeping I'll have more time at the lathe. Take care.

- Uncle Mikey

W3DRM

Welcome Uncle Mikey!

Based on your intro article, I would say even if pen turning isn't for you, you should certainly try writing as a career! I think you had all of us captivated from the first sentence on. I could visualize the unpacking of your equipment and those wood chips flying everywhere.

Best of luck in your new hobby or career. The help around here is phenomenal to say the least.

Fred

It's actually probably cheaper than a crack habit too you know.

And you have already learned the secrets of using CA glue for these "cracks" so that cure is well in place.

Now, get busy and build up a large stock pile of blanks and get yourself busy making several hundred pens for Christmas gifts. There are IAP suppliers just waiting for your call 24/7...

BTW, Welcome to the Forum. It is indeed a wonderful and helpful yet somewhat crazy organization of penheads, bowl turners, and yes bottle stopper makers.

Have a blast! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom