USA - NV: Minden - Carson Valley

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

W3DRM

Hi, I'm about as new a neophyte as one can get. I certainly can't match Keith's opening intro post.

However, one does have to start somewhere on any new venture and that describes me. I'm retired so have plenty of time to practice and learn the skills needed - I just hope I'm not too old to remember what I'm learning along the way :D

If I may be so bold, I would like to make a suggestion for this forum. More specifically, a format for the Subject line in the Introductions area - Develop a standard that shows the Country, State and city/area you live in (i.e., as I've done "USA - NV: Minden - Carson Valley"). This makes it very easy for folks to sort on the subject line to find members who live in a specific Country and/or State and City. I belong to other forums that have this standard and it is very handy. Looking at this forums' member map only shows the last 300 logins which eliminates finding someone close-by who may not be very active.

Sorry for the long post but thought I would throw out my idea for the Subject line.

I don't even have a mandrel as yet but I do have a Shopsmith system and their HSS Pen Turning chisel set along with other SS tools. Thus, I have lots of learning to do.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Welcome Don! I agree regarding where you live being more specific, there are some members who don`t put anything, not even a country![V][:D]

Fred

Welcome to the Forum, Don! Glad to have you with us on this wild ride through woodworking.

I agree with your suggestion and it does NOT have to be a rule as such, but it certainly assist in developing close in fellow woodwork 'friends.' To keep the information from being so conspicuous, maybe Jeff could offer a 'search for members location' tab under the Member Tools Tab above that would actually list those members names within a geographical area. [:D]

Pompeyite

Hi Donald, and welcome from the sunny south of the UK,[8D]
Don't worry about being new to the addiction, we all had to start somewhere eh?[;)]
Good idea about being able to know where people are from, but I doubt it will catch on though.[:(]
Happy turning matey.[:D]

Daniel

Welcome Don,
I'm pretty close to you. Reno, just a stones throw from the University. I would be happy to help you through any points you get stuck on. E-mail me and i will send you info on how to contact me.

Woodlvr

Howdy from a neighboring Utah, and welcome Don. I really like your weather post at the bottom of your post. As many have said "Welcome to the Addiction".[:D]

Mike

W3DRM

Wow, what a nice response from you folks! I've even met with one of the local turners on this forum (DKF). Last Friday, I completed the "Intro to Pen Turning" class at our local Reno Woodcraft. We made two pens and as everyone has indicated, I think I'm hooked.[:D] Am now waiting for some items to be delivered from AS so I can get started turning. I showed my two pens to some of my neighbors and now they're asking if I could make a pen for them. I guess the ball has started to roll already...

It's very obvious I have much to learn especially after looking at some of the pens the rest of you have produced.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome to the madness! I met Daniel a couple of years ago in Reno. Great fellow! I have a long time friend in Sparks and get over to visiting him when I am back in the States for while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom