UK Newbie, now from Thailand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dontheturner

I have been woodturning since 1954, and about eight years ago, started doing pens, then in 2007, I married a Thai beauty -, and shipped everything I owned, to Ubonratchathani, here in Thailand. Unfortunately, supplies are hard to come by, so everything I need, I have to get through the internet - mostly Ebay. oddly, the Bangkok Bank, will not deal with Paypal, so that is another stumbling block! - but there is loads of very good fancy hardwood here,... I tried buying some things from a Company called ''Steebar'', in USA, but although, they accepted my Visa card number, and thanked me for my order, the goods never came, nor did they reply to my many emails. Still, mai pen rai ( never mind) as the say here. Happy turning! dontheturner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Don. I have been to Thailand (mostly Chiang Mai but Bangkok and Pattaya also) a number of times from Japan. Love it there.

First, a warning - stay away from Steebar. You may and may not get your order and if you do, it may and may not be up to what you were expecting. That name has been discussed m a n y times here. I personally think you will find much nicer wood where you are.

I know that you have been turning for a LONG time but I will include links to some of the basics that we formulated here to get people on the same page or up to speed. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. While confusing to new turners, it sure helps abbreviate a lot of repetitive typing.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

Last edited:

JJturns

Welcome Don! I used to have an office in Bangkok. I don't know what type of supplies you are looking for but the vendors here on the forum are good from my experiece.

JJ

dontheturner

Welcome Don. I have been to Thailand (mostly Chiang Mai but Bangkok and Pattaya also) a number of times from Japan. Love it there.

First, a warning - stay away from Steebar. You may and may not get your order and if you do, it may and may not be up to what you were expecting. That name has been discussed m a n y times here. I personally think you will find much nicer wood where you are.

I know that you have been turning for a LONG time but I will include links to some of the basics that we formulated here to get people on the same page or up to speed. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. While confusing to new turners, it sure helps abbreviate a lot of repetitive typing.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

Thank You. I think the Acronyms, would fool anyone, and as I don't use a mobile - the more so! I think the worst thing here, oddly, is the lack of craft item ''variety'' - one kind of adhesive, and that's your lot! So, I have to import from, UK or wherever - using ebay! Don

robutacion

I have been woodturning since 1954, and about eight years ago, started doing pens, then in 2007, I married a Thai beauty -, and shipped everything I owned, to Ubonratchathani, here in Thailand. Unfortunately, supplies are hard to come by, so everything I need, I have to get through the internet - mostly Ebay. oddly, the Bangkok Bank, will not deal with Paypal, so that is another stumbling block! - but there is loads of very good fancy hardwood here,... I tried buying some things from a Company called ''Steebar'', in USA, but although, they accepted my Visa card number, and thanked me for my order, the goods never came, nor did they reply to my many emails. Still, mai pen rai ( never mind) as the say here. Happy turning! dontheturner

G'Day Don, and welcome from Australia!

So, how do you pay for things on eBay? credit card only??

There is a "bugger" not being able to use Paypal, many may have a different opinion but for dealing with overseas buyers or sellers, I wouldn't use anything else!

You should at least have some very interesting timbers about, for very little money...!:wink::biggrin:

Take care
Cheers
George

dontheturner

Welcome to the IAP Don, as Hank said keep clear of Steebar as so many have fell into his trap.
Hi Ligget, And thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately, Steebar, had what I wanted (forgotten now, so it was not that important!). Biggest problem here, is if I try to order my favourite glue, for my various projects, they are theorhetically not allowed to ship it by Air, from the UK.- So I have to have it sent to my friend, in the UK, and he posts it. But you cannot then use paypal, to buy it, as they will only allow, your purchasing address, for the sending of ebay items. Best regards dontheturner.(ex Shropshire)

dontheturner

G'Day Don, and welcome from Australia!

So, how do you pay for things on eBay? credit card only??

There is a "bugger" not being able to use Paypal, many may have a different opinion but for dealing with overseas buyers or sellers, I wouldn't use anything else!

You should at least have some very interesting timbers about, for very little money...!:wink::biggrin:

Take care
Cheers
George
Hi! See my reply to Ligget! I get a mate to send it! then credit his account, via a mate here, who has an online bank facility. dontheturner

robutacion

Hi! See my reply to Ligget! I get a mate to send it! then credit his account, via a mate here, who has an online bank facility. dontheturner

Thanks Don.

Is quite OK to answer to more than one member, on the same post, just start with the name of the member you are trying to answer to, and type away...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

dontheturner

George, I just found time, to visit your web site, and very entertaining it is too, Thanks. Eggs I notice, and though I never used any jigs, (only for doing egg cups) so all are different sizes, when my shot was taken, they all look rather dusty, 'cos my wife of that time, was in hospital ( never came home) and the cleaner used to Briwax them when she had time! - I was doing all the household things. There was a married couple, in USA, were selling them on for $10 each! cheeky beggars! _ but I doubt I could sell them here in Thailand for $1, they are poor folks. Don

robutacion

George, I just found time, to visit your web site, and very entertaining it is too, Thanks. Eggs I notice, and though I never used any jigs, (only for doing egg cups) so all are different sizes, when my shot was taken, they all look rather dusty, 'cos my wife of that time, was in hospital ( never came home) and the cleaner used to Briwax them when she had time! - I was doing all the household things. There was a married couple, in USA, were selling them on for $10 each! cheeky beggars! _ but I doubt I could sell them here in Thailand for $1, they are poor folks. Don

Hi Don,

Glad that you liked my web site, I haven't done anything to it for some time now...!:frown:

I like to make eggs, and I normally start getting things ready bit by bit, there is, grab the logs that are just right for eggs, start shaping them with an small axe, then cutting them into the tight length, pile them out fro months, then put the in the lathe and turn the round 2" and pile them in another box, then one day I feel like turning eggs and that will all I will do a full day (first stage).

I like to have plenty at this stage, 100 or so, as they don't take long to finish, mainly before Easter as I get always people wanting wooden eggs as presents, most I make are sold to people that paint them or carve them for re-sale. I've sold 150 in one go last year, they all were at (first stage), there is, they will only need to put in the jig to round one end and sand. Those eggs for painting I normally use some of my Radiata pine or even Macrocarpa, I then give them a coat of sending sealer so that they don't soak the paint right in.

I understand that you had troubles to add a pic on your post, there are a few ways to do it but, the simplest one is to add a thumbnail at the end of the post so when people click it it opens in a bigger size window. Try to follow these next steps on your previous post, starting by clicking "edit" on the bottom right end side of the post.

Click the attachment symbol (the little paper clip symbol at the top/center of the editor page). The Manage Attachments page will open, on the very top/left of the page you see "choose file" click on it and look for the location where you have the picture stored on your computer (make sure is under 100kB and jpg preferentially, the pic you send me was just right). After you located the pic already resized to the requirements, double click on it. The page will come back to the Manage Attach. and this time, click on the "upload" on the top/right of the page and wait a few seconds. As soon as it finished to download, the file reference will appear on that same Manage Attach. page under "current attachments". At this point, close the Manage Attach. page and you click "submit Reply", there is, if you are done with the text, and voila, the pic thumbnail will appear on your post, like this one of mine...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• Timbers preparartion 026_(1).jpg
    Timbers preparartion 026_(1).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Timbers preparartion 046_(1).jpg
    Timbers preparartion 046_(1).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Len Shreck

Welcome to IAP Don from here in Pennsylvania. Hope you enjoy the vast complement of knowledge, experience, and wit that the people on here have to offer. I am a total newbie to wood turning and have been researching Pen making for several months and finally talked my wife, the boss, into letting me start getting the equipment I would need to get started. I dont have everything I need to get started but I am getting there and have met some people on here that are more then willing to help get me started with some materials and knowledge, thanks William, Cathy Sue, and Rene, I hope you will jump right in and share your knowledge and experiences with those of us that could learn from someone that has been turning for as long as you have been. Thanks and enjoy. Len

dontheturner

Jesus Len. Well, it was 1954, I just married an 18 year old, in the UK, and no house available, so we go into furnished rooms, in a small industrial town, called Oakengates., I buy a 36'' x 24'' piece of Sapele, and make a bench to sit on top of the sink. . I screw the lathe attachment, on the top, and away we go. Egg Cups, by the dozen, all different ( hard to make them match). She Divorced me! Experience? sure I have lots! - Come here on holiday - it is cheap, and this Wife (Number 3)? Well - she got a Brick built workshop done for me, and with a PINK marble floor - before I came to live here!. dontheturner. Please, Len, you ask away.

Len Shreck

Sorry I hope it didnt come across as being rude

Jesus Len. Well, it was 1954, I just married an 18 year old, in the UK, and no house available, so we go into furnished rooms, in a small industrial town, called Oakengates., I buy a 36'' x 24'' piece of Sapele, and make a bench to sit on top of the sink. . I screw the lathe attachment, on the top, and away we go. Egg Cups, by the dozen, all different ( hard to make them match). She Divorced me! Experience? sure I have lots! - Come here on holiday - it is cheap, and this Wife (Number 3)? Well - she got a Brick built workshop done for me, and with a PINK marble floor - before I came to live here!. dontheturner. Please, Len, you ask away.

Don, I sure hope it didnt come across as me being rude in any way that was NOT my intention. As I said I am a total newbie at 37 its kinda late to start but I broke my neck in 2003 and tried to keep working as a truck driver and was doing OK until May of 2008 when the disks above and below the place they repaired just "blew out", Dr. words" and now I have permanent nerve damage to both arms and hands, and since then I have had no choice but to go on disability, I tried to look for work but no one would hire me, so I had to find something to occupy my time. I started out doing some scroll saw stuff but always wanted to turn so I did research and found that pen turning and looked at some pictures and just had to try it, so far I have not actually made any pens but I am hoping to change that ASAP... :biggrin: Len

Last edited:

dontheturner

Len, Don't you ever think that- I am not that kind of Guy. I meant what I said. Come here, for a cheap holiday, and I will give you free tuition, for as long as it takes. I have made, Corner Cupboards, grandfather Clocks, wall clocks, and mantle clocks, Coffee tables, garden bench seats, Eggs, Bowls (But hate doing them) Egg Cups, Wall lights, you name it, I will try it! And this past 9 years, lots of pens. I too, Got Invalided from the Min of defence (Civilian) in the UK, I had a heart attack, in 1982, so I know where you are coming from. I am now 79, and when i see the females, here, I feel 29. Good luck, my friend. dontheturner

Top Bottom