turn fly reel seat inserts, now into pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

Good Morning,

I have been turning reel seat inserts for a few years now and have decided to try some pens. I'm hooked! I guess I just love to work with the lathe.

The problem with reel seats, is that that I have built fly rods for sons, daughters, grand kids. siblings, etc. Now I turn the inserts without any real need for more. I have sold some on Ebay and will continue to do so, however I basically just recover the cost of the hardware. I also have some rod builders that get their inserts dirrectly from me.

I am not trying to make a living off of this---it is just a wonderful hobby that I truly enjoy. I would like to market a few. I live in northern Michigan about 250 miles north of Detroit. Winters are long and cold!!

Hopefully I will converse with many of you. This seems like a wonderful resource.

That being said, where would you recommend purchasing kits? I have a few lifetimes worth of wood--much from the local area as well as many of the exotics that I use for inserts. My greatest need will be for the hardware.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Herb

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Welcome to the IAP. I got started much the same way; bought the lathe to turn fly rod grips and reel seat inserts. Pens are a lot more addictive.

Hosspen

Welcome Herb!
If there's no group-buy going on for what you need at the time here are some companies many of deal with for kits:
Arizona Silhouette, Berea Hardwoods, Beartooth Woods, Craft Supplies USA,Penn State Industries, WoodCraft, Woodturningz, Woodnwhimsies.
Who am I forgetting guys? please chime in.

Once you learn more about the different type kits and decide on your favorites you may want to swap some wood for kits with other members since you have more wood than lifetimes?

If you have any questions, there are people here who can help, They have helped me many,many times. I'm glad you found this group of turners.

LanceD

Welcome Herb. I also turn reel seat inserts out of acrylics but I don't use them on any of my rods. I have an exclusive with Mudhole Tackle in Florida which they buy all I can make. Turning pens is more relaxing to me than turning inserts. Check out Craft Supplies USA, Arizona Silhouette and Bear Tooth Woods for some very good quality pen kits and accecories.

gmcnut

Welcome to the IAP Herb. I don't turn anything to do with fishing but I have learned and continue to learn much from this group of fine folks.

hehndc

Welcome. When I started out, I found Woods n Whimsies for basic slim lines and micro mesh. They have great prices and good service. The plating has held up on all of the pens I made 18 months ago.

Have fun.

Steve

Skye

How about some good tutorials on the reel seat turning? I've always wanted to do that, but I know jack about fly reels.

scotirish

Welcome from Southeast Michigan! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: You have the long winters and we have the rotten roads! :frown::frown::frown: I no longer sell my pens, just give them away to family and friends or keep them to add to my collection. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

donald19

Hi Herb and welcome.

Don't post much here but your post caught my eye.

All kit suppliers noted here are great and take the one warning to heart it's true.

So on the other hand what kit suppliers are around for Reel Seats? I've had a call or two to turn some. Did some Googoling but didn't find all that much.

Top Bottom