Transition from lurker to turner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rwyoung

Greetings from Lawrence, KS!

I've recently taken up woodworking with an eye toward doing some projects around the house. But the more I study furniture design, the more I start to like some of the simple turned elements found on Boston Bombes, Chippendale chairs and the like. So as I learn other techniques I decided to add spindle turning to the list.

Watched eBay for a while and came up with a low-mileage Turncrafter Pro for cheap. Then I signed up for a pen turning class at the Woodcraft in Lenexa (Kansas City suburb) as a way of getting some basic turning instruction.

This also falls in line with a resolution I made a few years ago about holiday gift giving. That resolution was that I would not give gifts that required batteries. Now that gets even easier! Pens, bottle stoppers, etc. But I may have to relax the requirement a little bit because I like the looks of the pen-light flashlights from PSI and others.

And one more thing I discovered. It is fun! :) I made one pen in the class. We made Wall Street II's (it was a Woodcraft Store class after all). And today I picked up three Slimline kits to do on my own tonight. Decided to also try a BLO/CA finish. No problem at all with the finish! Did the William Young (no relation by the way) method and it worked just fine. Only hitch was on the first one when the belt snapped on the lathe. 10 minutes of futzing around to put on the spare and back in business. :)

I don't have a digital camera worth a tinker's damn so I'll take a quick snapshot at work tomorrow to post here.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome to IAP, I'm sure you will find everyone here extremely helpful, glad to have you with us.

Looking forward to seeing your work, its the pens posted here that keep me going in this hobby.

This hobby only gets better as you go.

Welcome.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Rob to the madness! I promise you that batteries would be cheaper! :biggrin:

Below is a link to a PDF file that gives a general overview of tools, methods, pens and options that might be helpful in making pens. It does not go into detail of the many aspects at all, but just gives a general overview and options. There are a few minor mistakes that will hopefully be corrected in the near future but overall it gives some basic directions.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

rwyoung

Welcome Rob to the madness! I promise you that batteries would be cheaper! :biggrin:

Below is a link to a PDF file that gives a general overview of tools, methods, pens and options that might be helpful in making pens. It does not go into detail of the many aspects at all, but just gives a general overview and options. There are a few minor mistakes that will hopefully be corrected in the near future but overall it gives some basic directions.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

Yep, read that already... ;) Been prowling around the forums going back through lots and lots of old posts. :)

This weekend's project is to build a sharpening jig. I have grinder and Alox wheel. I've been able to freehand sharpen my roughing gouge and skew (and yes, I have HSS tools) using the toolrest and strategicly placed clamps and blocks. But it would be a pretty simple job to make a base and arm like the Wolverine. I have enough plywood aroud to do it. If I decide I like it then I can start saving up for the real thing.

And the thing about the batteries is mostly because I feel we have enough electronic crap lying about to last us the rest of our lives. And my degrees are in electrical engineering! I think I've developed this attitude because I've watched a few friends kids playing and they all seem to have lost the ability to entertain themselves without the aid of Mario and Luigi. Or maybe it is because I set at my desk and bench wrangling electrons all day and enough is enough after 8-10 hours?

Last edited:

rwyoung

Attached are the four pens I've turned. Ignoring for the moment the improvised photography and penholder I can see improvements as I move from the Wall Street II we did in the class (1st pen) through the three slimlines (plane-jane, bead at top, and vase/urn shape at bottom in order of creation). :biggrin:

I can also see where I need to improve technique in prep, turning and finishing (especially finishing). :rolleyes:

Over all I'm quite happy. When I bought the three slimline kits I bought a bag of extra tubes and I have more walnut left from another project so I'll practice blank prep, turning and finishing on my extra tubes.

Very happy so far. :):):)

Attachments

• slim001_small.JPG
    slim001_small.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 81
  • slim002_small.JPG
    slim002_small.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 79
  • slim003_small.JPG
    slim003_small.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 90
  • wallstreetII001_small.JPG