Teen pen turner from harrisonville, mo - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Introductions
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Introductions Are you a new member? Visit here and introduce yourself.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I just liked your page. FB pages are way cooler after you hit 30 likes! It took me FOREVER (it seemed) to get to 30. Have fun and welcome to the forum!

5th place 2014 tube-on casting contest.
Joe S. is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 15

Thank you joe the only reason I have that amount is that 10 ate prob family. What's your Facebook page I would love to look at it. Thanks!!
Teenpenturner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 58

Welcome from Corsicana, TX!

Another inexpensive method of sharpening tools is a simple benchtop sander. I have a Delta with a 1 x 30 belt on it. It keeps my tools sharp enough to use. I know it is not the best method to go. But it has kept my tools sharp enough to use for the last 4 years. Looking forward to seeing some of your pics on here.
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 15

Billy, what I have been using for sharpening is taking a 6 inch faceplate that came with my lathe and attaching a sticky back round orbiting sanding pad, I think to sharpen. I have been using 150 grit. It seems to be working well enough for my needs but I do want to purchase a slow speed grinder at some point.
Teenpenturner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Pens by J. I. Schmidt

5th place 2014 tube-on casting contest.
Joe S. is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Marcus - welcome.

To add to what others have said - you do need to be able to sharpen your tools as you turn, but until you are able to afford a grinder, using either a wetstone or a diamond stone works just fine. The aren't as fast or as glamorous, but the result is the same - sharp tools.

If you have a wetstone, I suggest using a light 'sewing machine' oil as a lubricant. Three-in-One is the most common brand, but you probably can find an equivalent at the Dollar Store that will work just as well. For a diamond stone, tapwater with a few drops of dishwashing detergent is the recommended lubricant. You can find wetstones and diamond stones at Lowes, Home Despot, or if one is convenient, Harbor Freight.

Your faceplate/sandpaper idea is an excellent way to sharpen tools, and for a penmaker that is probably fine. Its a bit less convenient if you need to sharpen several times during a project. There is an old thread that someone revived this morning about making handwheels for lathes (such as the small Harbor Freight tabletop lathe) that you can combine with the sandpaper idea to make a handwheel that serves double duty as your sharpening wheel.

By the way, there are a number of guys around your age who have done YouTube demonstration videos that are really very good. The most extensive collection is from Alex Harris in England. Alex is a few years older than you (he graduates from 'college' - what the English call high school) this year, but he does some pretty neat stuff and many of his tools are shop made. He has two channels - This Woodwork and the Teen Woodworker.
http://monophoto.blogspot.com
monophoto is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #27 (permalink)
Chapter Steering Committee

Photos: 0

looking at your page its seams u have been busy nice looking pens.
pensbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 72

Hi Marcus, nice job on those pens that you have posted on FB. Keep up the good work.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
mikespenturningz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Marcus - keep up the good work - as others have said getting the tools yourself, learning to sharpen, figuring out how to do something with what you have when another tool would make easier is all part of the creativity that others show on this site!
Nice job on the pens!
www.facebook.com/turningbyrd
keithbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #30 (permalink)

Photos: 23

Marcus,
Welcome from the southwest corner of the state!
Central Arkansas IAP Chapter Member
edman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads