Teen pen turner from harrisonville, mo - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Introductions
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Introductions Are you a new member? Visit here and introduce yourself.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 05:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager

Photos: 83

Welcome Marcus
It apparently may suck that your parents wont help out with the financial aspect but that means that you will appreciate the value of every thing YOU earn from YOUR efforts. You dont have a Job yet you do have an opportunity to make money that relies solely on your efforts to overcome the obstacles you have.. Dont get a job, learn to sell, sell yourself sell your pens. You will have to budget every penny you earn and plan every purchase. SO really your parents are teaching you to be self reliant and preparing you to be an adult. If Your sincere and you post regularly with pictures of your progress members will be glad to support you, possibly with kits or blanks definetly lots of Advice. Learn to Think, PLan, Execute, have fun and ask questions even the dumb sounding ones.
http://www.silverpenparts.com

Last edited by mredburn; 04-02-2013 at 05:48 AM.
mredburn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Welcome from Mississippi.
Johnny westbrook is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 35

Welcome from the mile high city. Looking forward to learning from you. It takes time to build the tool collection so keep working at it and you will soon have a wonderful collection.
markgum is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Greetings from St. Louis, sounds like you have started in a great way. I just recently as of December started turning pens myself, and the only tools that I own right now is a Easy Wood Tools square cutter and a spindle master. I do recommend the Spindle Master as it does a wonderful job and it is probably the easiest tool to sharpen. To sharpen a spindle master all you have to do is rub the flat side on a sharpening stone back and forth a couple of times and there you go, it's all ready to be used and Wood Craft sells the sharpening stone packages for about $25. As for skews I have used a flat, oval, round, and one of the Alan Lacer signature skews. The Alan Lacer signature skew was very easy to use and can be purchased from Rockler or CSUSA. Keep up the good work and have fun.

Brandon Harris
St. Louis, MO
lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 108

My hat is off to you... I went to your facebook and I am impressed by your work. Welcome from Tennessee.
OLDMAN5050 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvarnador View Post
carbide finisher replacement cutting heads

To join the thread; Marcus; It is easy to sharpen a carbide tipped cutter head with a diamond hone. Get one of the credit card sized solid metal hones. Put a drop of water on the hone, turn the cutter upside down on the hone, and swipe in a figure 8 pattern say 8 times. Now rotate the cutter 90 degrees and repeat until you have done the set of swipes 4 times. Dry the cutter before remounting. Clean the hone after every honing session. I have a cutter I purchased in 2008 and it still is my go-to tool for hard acrylics. I recently had to get another cutter though, the old one has been honed much thinner than it was originally.

Welcome to our little piece of heaven!

Added later: you can also use sandpaper to hone the carbide, but it doesn't last very long and should be discarded after a honing session.

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet

Last edited by randyrls; 04-02-2013 at 08:19 AM.
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 66

Welcome Marcus.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Welcome from South Carolina.
rholiday is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 15

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I will try to upload pics ASAP. I still haven't figured out how to upload. I think I am going to buy a diamond hone.
Teenpenturner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 15

Thank you I was wondering if you could sharpen these tips.. This will save me lots of money!! I didn't know you could sharpen these I was told at woodcraft that you had to replace the tip when it dulls.
Teenpenturner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads