Still waaay new, but getting started!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tufftoy

Hi all,

When I first introduced myself, I was shopping for...well everything! So, today I purchased a Nova Comet ii lathe from Wood turningz, I know, "no pics or it didn't happen" but it will be here this weekend!!...so they say.

Still need everything else in the world, but it's a start! I'm looking at getting the Woodchuck Pen Pro and a #2MT Pen Mandrel Saver from pen state to start the future collection of endless tools.

Let me know some recommendations on items to get, I have no woodworking store even remotely close to me, so it will be all internet buys...which sucks, because when I go to buy pen blanks etc..., I will not be able to actually look/feel the wood I want to get! So I get to "hope" that they send nice pieces of wood. :mad:

Keep you posted on the lathe, with pics to go with it.

Enough, thanks for listening!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rodnall

Some popular and really nice wood blanks to start off with would be cocobolo, olivewood and bocote. If you buy those big variety packs, you may end up with some pieces you'll never use.
Rod

ElMostro

Welcome! Figure out what you want to use for sharpening, there are several systems out; wet sharpening, dry sharpening, high speed grinders, slow speed grinders, some need jigs some include the jigs...of course you can go with the new carbide tipped tools and not worry about sharpening.
Eugene.

BSea

Before you buy a mandrel, look at the articles in the library about turning between centers. It doesn't require any special skills, and eliminates the need for a mandrel. Not to say a mandrel is bad, just another option.

And don't bother with a tube insertion tool.

Probably the one thing I would not want to do without is my collet chuck & full set of collets. And as ElMostro mentioned. Get some sort of sharpening system. Turning is so much more fun with sharp tools.

walshjp17

You'll have to let us know how the lathe works out. Did you get any of the accessories for the outboard side of the headstock (e.g., grinding wheel)?

Tufftoy

Did you get any of the accessories for the outboard side of the headstock (e.g., grinding wheel)?

No, no accessories yet, maybe in the future though. Tried to save money on it, so I could start buying everything else I need to get started.

plano_harry

Welcome to IAP!

Want to buy my PSI mandrel saver? :wink: Get the 60 degree live center instead - works with a mandrel or turning between centers. Turning between centers is much nicer, but I find myself using a mandrel for some styles that I am trialing.

+1 on Woodchuck PenPro. Then you don't need a sharpening system, just a diamond hone to refresh the edge every now and then.

+1 on the LCDowell collet chuck that PSI sells (cheaper on Amazon) The 1/4" collet fits the 7mm mandrel and the 3/4" will hold a rounded blank for drilling. You will want a 1/2" Jacobs chuck with MT2 taper as well for the bit.

If you like some of the PSI kits, they have some deals on starter packages - kit, bushings and drill for the price of the kit alone.

Watch the Birthday Bash sales starting tomorrow - some nice discounts there on stuff we all need.:rolleyes:

Harry

Look on eddiecastelin.com he has a "Tast of carbide" set with handle, bar, and 6 cutters I think. I have used his carbide tools for a long time and love them . I was one of the testers of his new style handles and I know you would like it.

Look here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEkkHLIbHDo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Levi Woodard
Woodardwoodworks.com

Sent from my Galaxy player using Forum Runner

Top Bottom