Starting out with highly figured walnut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fersfigure

I am a logger by trade. I started learning about specialty wood cuts, crotch, curly, burls, etc... I have a backhoe and heard the roots are worth a bunch of money. So I dug them up. Couldn't find a buyer so I cut slabs. I was told to contact turners. I have a little bit, but starting a new business is difficult. Especially with 0 contacts. At this point, I want to sell enough wood to buy a good lathe. And work from there. I was going to buy a lathe, but my transfer case went out instead.

What is the fair market value of highly figured black walnut blanks? Best processes to sell blanks? I am probably going to get a grizzly lathe to start on.

Attachments

• 20180912_124648.jpg
    20180912_124648.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 191
  • 20180911_191249.jpg
    20180911_191249.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 20180714_091306.jpg
    20180714_091306.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 20180702_091059.jpg
    20180702_091059.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 164
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Chris,

I believe there are some fellow here that can help figure prices out. Bear in mind that cutting, boxing and shipping add a whole 'nuther kink to the plan. Some people are born with it, some aren't. It is a pain for me to package and mail. I would have to hire someone to do that part. As to pricing, you need to include the shipping costs.

Now to the wood: Look at what you have, look on eBay at comparative sizes and burls and bowl blanks as well as pen blanks.

Many take pictures of their blanks, post them here (IAP) on another forum and sell them here. Look under market place and see what sells there.

Good photos, good lights, good presentation or layout make for much better selling.

BTW, "Mountain View" - Which State?

Fersfigure

Thank you. I am in Missouri. I plan to join the local turners club. I posted a few pictures. Prices seem to vary a lot. Walnut roots take a lot of work and time. But they are extremely beautiful.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thank you. I am in Missouri. I plan to join the local turners club. I posted a few pictures. Prices seem to vary a lot. Walnut roots take a lot of work and time. But they are extremely beautiful.

I will just have to get up and visit sometimes. I have a daughter in Ozark - works in Springfield and we travel not too far from Mountain View - West Plains, Willow Springs, Cabool to Springfield.

crunch

Beautiful wood. If you have any specialty lumber yards around, that is a good place to start for pricing. Or look up online for the same. I used to work at Berkshire Products before they really got into the exotics and specialties. So a place like that is what I mean.The thing about figured woods is the eye of the beholder.
As stated above shipping is a concern. Are you going to standardize sizes, ie. 2"x 2"x 12" or 1x1x5 etc. That is another thing you have to consider...shop time to size your product.
And the real question is, is it seasoned? Crotches,burls,roots take longer to dry than flat sawn,quarter sawn boards. Thickness is a factor also, obviously.
Due to the fact of where I live and the availability here, I'm not in your market but as I said those are some beautiful pieces. Do some research and I think you'll come up with a price that compensates your time for what you have to offer. Good luck.

donstephan

Join your local turning group, and after a month or two take some pieces to a meeting and ask for feedback and offers. And ask how they would like the wood cut, and whether they would want it coated on all surfaces with Anchorseal or similar.

Top Bottom