So new I'm still looking for a lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

Hi all!

I'm Dan from western Iowa. I just took a pen making class (I, primarily, scroll clocks) and am totally in awe!:hypnotized: I am looking around for a lathe and starter kit. I have, almost, decided on the TurnCrafter Plus from Penn State due to its' price and the starter kit would eliminate buying a lot of pieces. I am, however, very interested in seeing what others have to say. I'm delighted to have found this group!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome to a great forum!

ONE thing that I would recommend on a lathe - Look for a lathe with a #2MT (Morse Taper). Many more accessories for these than for #1MT. If you like turning pens and want to expand some options, you will need the #2MT.

If you decide to sell it down the road, people "in the know" will look at it. IF they know that it is not a #2MT they will probably pass it by.

The #1 will work fine for basic pen turning but again, your options are limited.

For another help - below is a link to a PDF file that gives a general overview of tools, methods, pens and options that might be helpful in making pens. It does not go into detail of the many aspects at all, but just gives a general overview and options. There are a few minor mistakes that will hopefully be corrected in the near future but overall it gives some basic directions.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

Last edited:

Dario

I'll 2nd the MT2 comment.

Most important for me is quality and reliability. Get the best value lathe you can afford and save yourself some heartache in the future.

Jet mini (though not perfect and not the best) have a very strong track record and I won't hesitate to recommend it especially the VS version if you can afford it.

Good luck with your choice and welcome!!!

ldb2000

The turncrafter plus you are looking at is a good little lathe , I have one , the problem with it is the head and tail stock are both MT1 tapers and there is not allot of accessories made for it to do anything other then pens . If you are only going to do pens then it will work but it just is not good enough to do anything else .
I would suggest that you look for a little larger lathe that has a MT2 tail and head stock , this way you can always expand into doing other things like bowls and boxes .

Russianwolf

Dan, if I had it all to do over again I'd go this route.

Basics
MT2 lathe $190 - 3000+
MT2 60deg Live Center $24
Basic turning tools $35+
Calipers $10+
Sharpening system $25+

Total for Basics $284 and up

That will get you turning.

Then you have a couple choices.

Do you already have a drill press and a 115 pc set of drill bits? if not, then I'd go straight to drilling on the lathe.
Drill chuck $35+
Scroll Chuck $100+ (can be used to trim the blanks instead of using a barrel trimmer)
115 pc drill bit set (will handle nearly all the kits) $50+

Mandrel-less
60 deg dead center $10

or
Mandrel turning
Adj. Mandrel $18

Without a scroll chuck you's need a sander or barrel trimmer to trim the blanks. $17+

So I could have gotten in to start with $479, but I had to learn along the way that what I was using wasn't for me.

markgum

Hi Dan;
welcome from the west coast. I agree with the MT2 comments. I found my lathe on E-bay. I looked for over a month, but got a super deal on a Jet 1014. Keep shopping and you'll find a GREAT deal out there.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I say, listen to Hank, he will not steer you wrong!!:biggrin:
Hi all!

I'm Dan from western Iowa. I just took a pen making class (I, primarily, scroll clocks) and am totally in awe!:hypnotized: I am looking around for a lathe and starter kit. I have, almost, decided on the TurnCrafter Plus from Penn State due to its' price and the starter kit would eliminate buying a lot of pieces. I am, however, very interested in seeing what others have to say. I'm delighted to have found this group!

when I started, I paid about 200 dollars evrything I would need to make 10 pens. got the grizzley starter pack. I would shoot myself in both feet before I did that again. highly recomend an MT2 and a variable speed is almost a must. don't forget...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I don't know how good the PSI lathes are, but I am totally done with thier other products. I love my jet 10x14.

rdunn12

Welcome!I can tell you they are right about the mt2.I have a 12 inch Ridgid and it is a great lathe except it is mt1.Has'nt really caused me a lot of problems but you are limited.Finding things like live centers is sometimes difficult.Places like woodcraft mainly carry mt2 stuff with a small amount of stuff for mt1.Have fun and enjoy the slippery slope to the poor house!

nava1uni

Welcome from San Francisco. I agree with the MT#2 recommendation. I have a Rikon mini-lathe and it is easy to change speeds. I think that it is better to save and buy better equipment. Mark's comment about E-bay is really true. It may take a while, but you can get some good deals.

aggromere

Jet mini VS

I just set up my lathe not quite a month ago. I bought the Jet Mini VS from Rockler. The only people in town that stocks them. It was great right out of the box and I've had no trouble so far and I've turned nearly a 100 pens on it and various pieces of scrap for practice.

My two cents worth is, dont skimp on the lathe. You will give it a real work out. And ditto on the MT2. I had no idea what that was when I got the lathe but im glad i ended up with one.

also i bouth a set of pen making lathe tools. In just one month they have all been replaced by full size tools. They are much better. I got a 1 inch oval skew and it is by far my favorite and best tool.

seawolf

Look on craigslist I bought a harbor freight lathe for 75.00 with a few tools. MT2 chuck and tailstock will turn 10-12 inch stock very well. I made pens and other small things for a while with it. Then I wanted a smaller lathe for the portability. I use a two drawer middle box from a roll around set with the mini set on a piece of 3/4 plywood and I can go anywhere with the lathe. Great fun at work late night. My only mistake on the mini lathe was not spending a little more to get a lathe with a truer tail stock,lath drilling is not possible. I bought it at steves wholesale tools for 98.00. Shop around you can get there and have a great time.
Mark

Top Bottom