Slowly getting sucked in...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeInMo

Hi everyone. I just found this board a few days ago from a link in a post on Woodturner's Resource.

I am fairly new at turning without much time at the lathe even though I have had it since last Februry. Two grade school age kids and working on my maasters degree don't give me a lot of shop time. However, that may change once I graduate in May.

I look forward to getting to know the people here. I am located in Springfield, MO. If you are in the area, drop me a line.

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhs494

Welcome. You will find that once you get started it is hard to stop.
Just enjoy any time you get to turn.

Fred

Yep, it is definitely a vortex. Be sure to take you wallet with you and your checkbook, and an empty trailer would be very handy as well whenever you feel the local Woodcraft or Rockler calling your name.

Welcome to the fun! Be sure to shake hands with all you see swirling around in the vortex! [:D]

Dave_M

Yea Mike I've been there. I started looking at this site about nine months before I bought a lathe. Then it was another six months before I started posting and turning pens. Once you peek in the door, you're hooked so welcome to the forum. Hopefully it won't be too long before we see you posting a pic of your first pen.

hughbie

hello mike, welcome to the insanity
i am also located in springfield and have only been turning since april....still less than a year.
drop me a note let me know where you are in town.....coffee and shop time might be nice
hugh

byounghusband

Be sure to take you wallet with you and your checkbook, and an empty trailer would be very handy as well whenever you feel the local Woodcraft or Rockler calling your name.

Mike,
Welcome to the sickness!!! I mean that in the BEST way, of course!!! As for suppliers calling your name, I'll bet Grizzly will have you in their tractor beam, seein' where you live and all [8)].....
Let the FORCE be with you,young JEDI!!!!![8]

karlkuehn

Banned
Hi and a big welcome to you! This site has changed my whole aspect on turning, and after browsing and joining many of the forums out there, this one has become my second home. There's so much knowledge in the archives, it's just amazing, even for a seasoned vet!

I think the secret is that there's enough of us wackos out here posting crazy ideas and alternative methods (most of the time based on innovation due to lack of resources or tools) that you're bound to find something that you'd never have thought of even on a good (or bad) day! I know I have!

MikeInMo

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I have been doing some reading and am very impressed with the level of knowledge here, real and imagined. [:D] I hope to be able to glean at least a small fraction of it.

What sort of onknown strength do you posses that allows you to get sucked in slowly?

I wish I could say I had superpowers. That would be impressive on a resume. However, not getting set up to sharpen too well slows one though, but I did build a sharpening jig similar to the one that badger posted on his website a few days ago. That really changed things...Lots of very cylindrical firewood and long curly ribbons in the workshop now from practicing over the holidays.

i am also located in springfield and have only been turning since april....still less than a year.
drop me a note let me know where you are in town.....coffee and shop time might be nice
hugh

Hi Hugh. That would be good. I'll send you an e-mail or PM. I have already heard from Freddie.

Welcome to the sickness!!! I mean that in the BEST way, of course!!! As for suppliers calling your name, I'll bet Grizzly will have you in their tractor beam, seein' where you live and all .....

Grizzly found my wallat and me a long time ago, and I have the tools to prove it.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom