Scott from Atlanta GA.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MorganGrafixx

Hello everyone. Wanted to post a quick greeting to everyone and introduce myself. My name is Scott and I'm from Lawrenceville, GA (N. Atlanta).
28 years old, married 9 years and have 3 kids. I am a former U.S. Marine and now work as a Graphic Designer.
I have always been into woodworking in one form or another but had never touched a lathe. I have been wanting to get into pen turning for many years but was never able to afford the lathe and all the tools/materials needed to get started. This past Christmas my in-laws bought me everything I needed and I almost had a heart attack when I opened the giant box they stuffed it in.
So since then I've turned 12 pens. I turned my first acrylic blank about 2 weeks ago and my first cigar pen last week. I turned it out of Buckeye Maple Burl (very pretty wood). I think it came out quite nice. I had to perform emergency surgery on it right as I was finishing the shaping. I caught a rough patch and chipped out a knot hole/eye that went all the way to the brass. Wood putty, some carefull sculpting then sanding and I was able to salvage the pen.
I got bored after I ran out of pen kits and started turning anything I could get my hands on. I've turned two candle sticks out of an old 4 x 4 I had laying around and have started making a chess set out of a Persimmon Tree that fell in my yard about 8 months ago. I'll try to get some pics posted of the stuff I've done so far.
Well that's my story. I hope to learn alot and might even be able to contribute to others. See yall around.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

Welcome from Conyers, Georgia. Just in case you don't already know, there is a new SE IAP chapter that will have regualr meetings. You can find out more on the local chapters forum.

Look forward to your photos.

Jim Smith

MorganGrafixx

Well gang...I have now for the third time tried (and re-tried) to take a decent photograph of my work to no avail. I read the tutorial "Photographing Pens" but either I have an insufficient intelligence level or I'm missing some crucial step. Either way, I have about 50 images with varying degrees of blurriness. I've cleaned the lens, used a tripod, messed with the flash, adjusted zoom levels and even tried taking one with my fingers crossed while clicking my heels together...nothing.
On a lighter note, I just filled my first order. A co-worker ordered a Rosewood Slimline pen and pencil set. As soon as I delivered them to her this morning, another co-worked saw them and ordered the same thing. Not enough money to retire anytime soon, but it just felt pretty good to know that people want to give me money for these things. I also turned some pretty crazy candle sticks last night that someone offered me quite a bit of money for...still thinking about it...I didn't use anything exotic for the wood. It was actually a pressure treated 4 x 4 sanded to 600 grit and 3 coats of clear varnish. I'm just worried that the pressure treated lumber will dull to a greenish tint after a while and the person who bought it will be upset. What do you guys think?

jtrusselle

Scott - A warm welcome from not so warm Maine! Can't help you with the aging of PT wood... Maybe if it's not in the direct sun it won't fade too much. One idea that you might have some fun with is to let friends and co-workers know that you can make them a pen with wood from their yard or home. I've turned old growth mahogany from a skiff of a former shipbuilder (co-workers grandfather) and lilac pens from a friends yard. Plus you get to keep the excess wood. Keep at it!
Jim

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Scott

It was great meeting you and your father in law during the wood show here in Atlanta! We look forward to seeing you during the March 21st meeting at Woodcraft.

Robert

Top Bottom