Returning to Penturners.org

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

susan41

Hi everyone!!

Wow it has been quite some time since I last logged on here!! So long in fact that I totally forgot my password to my account which was listed under blue_eyed_butterfly_36!! (Hopefully administration will send that to me today so that I can start posting under my old name)!!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that after browsing through a lot of the recent photo postings that everyone has been extremely busy while I have been gone!! Some of the best work that I have ever seen and I find myself both very in awe and very inspired!!

What really caught my eye is all of the segmented work that has been done!! INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL AND INCREDIBLY WELL EXECUTED!! I will say that this is the area that I most want to "delve" into next as it really seems to be the most exciting to me!! I was experimenting with some slimlines and I turned 2 very basic segmented pens which I must say did turn out quite nicely. However, I can see by all the talent on here, that I certainly have my work cut out for me in order to get even half as good as everyone else!!

Gotta love those goals!!

Hope that everyone has been doing good and hope that everyone had a great year!! And I am really looking forward to getting reaquainted with you after my time away!!

Susan:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

I was just wondering what kind of "board" is parole? And what "rule" was used to measure it? Since this 'board' was 'ruled' to be 'in your favor', will that make it longer than is necessary ... or does the old addage 'measure twice, cut once' still apply? [:D]

Asides from that, Welcome Home Blue_Eyed_Butterfly_36 so glad to have you back with the rest of us on the Forum. [;)]

susan41

Hi again!!

Just wanted to thank you all for all of your heartfelt "welcome backs". Makes me feel like I never left!! (sniff sniff)

But seriously, the reason that I have not been online for quite some time, is that my penturning business has really taken off during this past year!! It seems that there is very little spare time anymore. I eat, breathe, and sleep pens!!

I had every weekend booked during 2007 with art/craft shows of most we did extremely well on!! Most shows averaged $1,500.00 or more in profit depending on the venue. I have to say that I had a BLAST meeting all of the fine people at the shows. Talking with them. Helping them to appreciate the pens. How they were made. The details to the designs. The work that actually goes into making them. For a shy person this was no easy feat, but once I got the ball rolling, there was no stopping me!! And I would have to say that I am about as extroverted as they come now!!

I really had consistent sales generating from my website. It isnt the fanciest one out there, but I did it all myself, and I view it as on ongoing work in progress!!

A ton of word of mouth orders really kept my busy during most of the year!! (Seems that throughout the year my pens were given as gifts and a lot of the recipients in turn bought several for themselves for their gift giving). I have received so many phone calls and emails since Christmas morning from people wanting to reorder!! (And I thought that the rest of the month would actually be slow!!)

A few of the most memorable sales that I made: I sold 35 pen and pencil sets to a Chicago Alderman, I had a 70 pen order from a hospice director to give them away to all of her volunteers, and I had a major college in the Chicago area order 100 with the school colors to give away to staff members.

Right now I am in negotiation with a big company in Chicago that wants to purchase 1,200 olivewood slimline pens (100 a month for the first year) that wants to export them back to Israel to aid in their tourism. I am totally floored by this venture....and I cannot help but feel...that I might have finally "arrived"! (Honestly I am scared to death but I am sure with continued hard work I can really do this and do it well)!!

And finally, I have managed to get my pen products into 35 retail stores throughout Illinois. Though this aspect requires a bit of time in the "follow up" department I have found that it is well worth it. Fortunately I was able to negotiate no more than a %20.00 commision with most of the stores and the other stores pay me for their orders in cash. My hopes are to expand to 35 more stores by the end of 2008.

I can say for sure that this past year has definately been a a whirelwhind for me. I have learned some valuable lessons along the way. And quite honestly made a few mistakes too. However I am a much better person/business woman because of it and I wouldnt change a thing!!

Thank you all for your inspirations, photos of the grand things that you do, and motivation to aspire to be better every day!!

Susan[:D]

karlkuehn

Banned
Hi and a big welcome to you! This site has changed my whole aspect on turning, and after browsing and joining many of the forums out there, this one has become my second home. There's so much knowledge in the archives, it's just amazing, even for a seasoned vet!

I think the secret is that there's enough of us wackos out here posting crazy ideas and alternative methods (most of the time based on innovation due to lack of resources or tools) that you're bound to find something that you'd never have thought of even on a good (or bad) day! I know I have!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
That's truly impressive, Susan. In less than two years you have a pen business that is netting over $150,000 in profit. While I'm not sure, I think that would put you in the top 1 or 2 most profitable sellers on the site. And congrats on the sale to the alderman. My highest profile sales were to a couple of Ambassadors, but nothing in the quantities that you are selling. I'd wish you good luck in 2008, but I don't think you need it! [8D]

gerryr

I'll echo what Lou said. What is the URL for your website? Some of us might like to take a look and see what we can learn.

OKLAHOMAN

I'll third what Lou and Gerry said thats mighty impressive and I'm always willing to learn from successful people. BTW I think that puts you in or above Steve Roberts area of volume.

gerryr

This is the website that generates "consistent sales?????"
http://www.uniquefreaque.com/wood-pens.html
And with no way to purchase anything either. Now I'm really impressed.[;)]

susan41

Hi again,

I almost feel like I have to defend my choices of retail stores and I really dont think that I should have to do that as Gerry clearly seems to think that I should. My clientele includes all walks of people which means product placement in all different kinds of shops/boutiques. I do not think that I need to cater to the rich or to only place my pens in stores that are deemed somehow "proper". To be quite honest the shopkeeper of Unique Freaque is a transgendered individual who I found to be very energetic, open minded, and very outgoing especially where her customers are concerned. I went into each store that I chose to observe the "sales flow" on several occasions, spoke extensively with each shopkeeper, and did a lot of research on each location to be sure that it was a good area with a lot of exposure. I take placement of my pens seriously and understand that no two shops are alike, and as I want to reach a diverse group of people, I relish their differences. Wasnt really versed on the fact that I had to sell in a certain type of store to make money if the product is good. And I must add that without ever having walked into that particular store to walk around and explore I really dont see how you can judge it just from a few pictures on a website. Perhaps it would have been better to ask me for a formal list of the other 34 stores that I am in for surely you would have found a website to suit your taste?

Your profit $ was off a bit to the high side, or maybe that is accurate for the amount of profit that you make on your pen sales DCBLUESMAN, however my business philosophy has and will always be, making a beautifully crafted product/gift in several different styles that anyone can afford. I do not overinflate my prices where I do not have to do so. I have found my customer base and I know what my customers are purchasing. I do not have to invest in the higher end pens to make my profit. I am generating enough income from the sale of slimlines, euros, havana, sierra, atlas, and panache pens that I do not have to tie up my money in other pen kits. However if a customer wanted to custom order one I would gladly do that for them. Isnt one of the principals of being a successful business person knowing the needs/wants of your customer base?

Steve Roberts does fine work, and I will not comment further on him, however he deals with a different clientele, in a different region, and is finding great success with higher end pens. His net worth is his and his alone and I am sure that he is charging what he feels is appropriate for his parts/labor. I do not aspire to earn $150,000.00 or more a year as that is in excess of what I comfortably need to live, provide for my families future, and retire on. Never stated that I wanted to do that. However I do make enough to do all of that without working out of my home which allows me to be my own boss, set my own hours, spend precious family time with my daughters, and go to bed each and every night knowing that I worked hard and made an honest living doing it.

I have also spent the last 2 years working with my suppliers to get my costs down as low as I possibly can on my kits, blanks, tubes, etc. so that I could pass that savings down to my customers which is the right thing to do. I will not get my costs down only to jack up the prices and make a bigger profit that I truly dont deserve. For example, I buy 45 different colored dymondwood pen blanks for $.90 cents a piece from Hut Products, I purchase 170 different colors of acrylics from Woodcraft for $1.05 a piece, and I am buying $.75 a piece slimline pen kits in 8 different platings/colors and $1.25 a piece euro pen kits in 6 platings/colors directly from a trading company in China. Now that means that a slimline pen made out of dymondwood with a satin pearl slimline kit is costing me $1.65 to make plus the cost of sandpaper, polish, and a $.25 cent gold foil gift box from Uline so this pen would cost me $3.00 to make. I read in another string on here that someone is actually charging $30.00-$60.00 an hour for their labor on each pen. I find it ridiculous and absurd that someone would do this unless they were working with an extremely difficult type of wood/acrylic or it was segmented or highly detailed. Sorry, but I am not charging $35.00 for a slimline pen quite frankly that took me maybe 15 minutes to turn and less than a minute to assemble!! Being the one that is doing the actual turning of the pen, I know how much time I have to invest in each one, and I know how much my time is honestly worth. I am no bragger here, but if I have my blanks cut, drilled, tubed, and milled before I start I can turn between 4-6 dymondwood/wood slimline pens in an hour. Acrylics and specialty woods admittedly take longer for obvious reasons, but surely if slimlines are my speciality and my biggest seller, is it impossible to believe that I can make them at that rate? If I can turn 5 an hour on average, can I really charge $35.00 each pen for a total of $175.00 when my cost was $15.00?? That would mean that my "salary" was a whopping $160.00 an hour, which would mean that based on a 40 hour work week, my pay would be $6,400.00 a week, or $25,600.00 a month. Never did I say that I made that much money. My name is NOT Rockfeller or Trump, and I never began woodturning to get rich, I did it out of love for the craft.

I thought that this forum was a place that everyone could "boast" about their new "babies", show off their talents through wonderful pictures, and share any knowledge to others eager to learn. I quit coming to this forum a long time ago because there were those here that were outright braggers, didnt want to share their knowledge, and basically were using this site as a form of self appreciation. I figured that I wasnt ready to fit into the big leagues yet and that I still had a lot to learn. And learn I did. Quit my job, took my savings, and threw myself heart and soul into a business that I could cultivate, grow, and pass down to my daughters. Maybe even give them a honest, dedicated, hard working mom to be proud of. This has become a 7 day a week labor of love to me that only gets stronger every day. My 16 year old daughter is already an accomplished turner and my 8 year old daughter is always right there to lend a hand sanding tubes and helping out where she can.

I have received a number of emails from other turners here in the forum that have been supportive and kind because they were not comfortable with leaving their replies here for all to read. Most of them have said that they do not dare to discuss their business in length for fear of criticism regarding their pricing etc. I think that this is a shame for each business is individual and prices should reflect this. And I feel like a complete idiot for coming in here again, all excited about my accomplishements, being honest, hoping to get some positive feedback, only to have some people attack me for SHARING which is what this forum is supposed to be all about. Im really disappointed and I feel sad for those that did that. [:(]

Susan

I think that my pens speak for themselves.

200815398_green%20acrylic%20pen.jpg

20081531026_olivewood%20pen.jpg

20081531052_banana%20acrylic%20pen.jpg

gerryr

Originally posted by susan41
<br />
Sorry, but I am not charging $35.00 for a slimline pen quite frankly that took me maybe 15 minutes to turn and less than a minute to assemble!!

That is the stated price on your website for a slimline.

susan41

Okay Gerry,

That is NOT my website as you pointed out so nicely in your first post, that is a boutique website, and they add their commission and fees on top of my pen prices. That particular store (and a few others) purchase my pens outright and I have no say so in their "mark up" pricing. The majority of my stores are on a consignment basis and they all are under contract to mark up my pens no more than 20% of my price.

SO GET OVER IT!!

johnkofi

Susan,
It is very sad that you feel that you have to write something like this because of a few nasty people on this forum. When I read your first posting telling of your success I got very excited!!!! I even read it to my wife!!!
Please, please don't leave.... I want to learn all that I can from people like you so I can get out of the 8-5 rat race too.
Thanks for the encouragement.

OKLAHOMAN

Susan,you stated you had avg. profit of $1500.00 a show and had EVERY weekend booked last year=$68,000.00 profit.
You also said you have 35 stores in Ill. selling your pens and if you put all the effort in choosing the right stores as you state,they gave you on the low side another $1,000 per store profit =$35,000.00 plus $68,000.00= $103,000.00,now your also in other websites besides your own ,also you had large Chicago business's and Universities ordering pens from you so useing your figures Lou's estimate of $150,000.00 is not out of the blue.
Below are 3 quotes copied and pasted from you post, to me bragging is bragging and now whos doing the bragging,are you in 35 brick and mortor stores in Ill as you stated or webstores.

I had every weekend booked during 2007 with art/craft shows of most we did extremely well on!! Most shows averaged $1,500.00 or more in profit depending on the venue.

I take placement of my pens seriously and understand that no two shops are alike, and as I want to reach a diverse group of people, I relish their differences. Wasnt really versed on the fact that I had to sell in a certain type of store to make money if the product is good. And I must add that without ever having walked into that particular store to walk around and explore I really dont see how you can judge it just from a few pictures on a website. Perhaps it would have been better to ask me for a formal list of the other 34 stores that I am in for surely you would have found a website to suit your taste?

I quit coming to this forum a long time ago because there were those here that were outright braggers, didnt want to share their knowledge, and basically were using this site as a form of self appreciation

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'm not sure why you found it necessary to pepper your response to my post with words such as "maybe that is accurate for the amount of profit that you make on your pen sales" and "I do not overinflate my prices". High? You think my estimate is high? I took you at your word and congratulated you on your accomplishment. By your own posts, you have been at this for two years. By your own post:

I had every weekend booked during 2007 with art/craft shows of most we did extremely well on!! Most shows averaged $1,500.00 or more in profit depending on the venue.
Now, I was a math major and finally ended up with my CPA. Unless principals of mathematics have changed in the past 30 years, $1500 a week times 52 weekends of shows works out to $78,000 in PROFIT. Using a simple 3X multiplier your gross would have needed to be $234,000.

I really had consistent sales generating from my website.
Consistent sales generated from my website sounds like you must have made at least $500 a month from web sales. Total sales estimated at $6000.

A ton of word of mouth orders really kept my busy during most of the year!!
I don’t know what constitutes “a ton†to you, but I would certainly think that anything less than $1000 a month does not constitute “a tonâ€. Total sales estimated at $12,000

I sold 35 pen and pencil sets to a Chicago Alderman, I had a 70 pen order from a hospice director to give them away to all of her volunteers, and I had a major college in the Chicago area order 100 with the school colors to give away to staff members.
If those are just the “memorable salesâ€, surely they can’t represent more than 20% of your business, following the old 80/20 rule. Total direct volume sales estimated at $20,000.

I have managed to get my pen products into 35 retail stores throughout Illinois. Though this aspect requires a bit of time in the "follow up" department I have found that it is well worth it.
Servicing 35 retail stores should be generating $250 a month per location or else I’m not sure anyone would call it “well worth itâ€. Estimated distribution sales $105,000.

These numbers add up to about $500,000 a year in sales. With a 3x multiplier, that yields a profit of $150,000 plus.

Now you may throw out any numbers you wish and I really don’t care one way or the other. But with YOUR claims, I figure you had to be selling about 270 pens a week, 52 weeks a year and that’s if your AVERAGE pen sells for $35.

As for this comment
I thought that this forum was a place that everyone could "boast" about their new "babies", show off their talents through wonderful pictures, and share any knowledge to others eager to learn. I quit coming to this forum a long time ago because there were those here that were outright braggers, didnt want to share their knowledge, and basically were using this site as a form of self appreciation.
it appears that rather than fight them, you have chosen to join them.

I don't know what has you so defensive. I'm sure you have created a marvelous pen business, but somehow your claims don't add up. Don't blow smoke unless you can back it up.

susan41

For my last response to this thread.....

I made $96,000.00 in profit for 2007. If you really read above you will see that I was able to do this by working out the best prices possible for my supplies, working out of my home based workshop so that I had little overhead, and not having to employee anyone. I live modestly and have learned to manqage my money and time effectively.

Only a fool without the demographics of each shop/boutique would be willing to estimate the generated income from each store. Why is it so hard to believe that someone can be this successful? I dont think that most of the turners on here actually do this at my age solely as their only form of making a living. I think that most turners on here hold down regular jobs and do this in their spare time. I think that retirees might be into it more as a means of supplementing their ss and pensions. I am doing this full time. Dedicating that time to finding great show venues, looking for a wide variety of boutiques, and turning the best pens that I possibly can. I guess that I am old school and I choose to believe people when they tell me something unless otherwise proven.

The majority of my sales are done at my shows where I can actually be present, meet my customer base, and talk with them about my pens. And most all comment on how knowledgeable, articulate, and passionately I speak about them. NOBODY CAN SELL YOUR PRODUCTS BETTER THAN YOU CAN!! This is a proven fact.......so is it not obvious that the majority of my sales would be generated from the shows? Maybe what makes it hard to believe is the fact that I am making these kinds of numbers mostly on slimlines and europeans? But how is that hard to believe when most of my customers will walk away with more than one pen? Honestly I usually sell 2 or more per person because I have such a great color/variation variety on the table that they cant decide on just one. Is it the product, salesman, or both?

I do not want to sit around and wait for that Emperor pen to sell for $200.00 like a lot of turners do. Sitting at an art/craft show is not about SITTING there waiting for that potentially big sale. An art/craft show is about STANDING UP and being so busy that you dont have time to sit down!! I find much more satisfaction personally with my smaller sales that are continuous rather than that one big sale that might be few and far between. Most people arent willing to pay $200.00 for a pen that they might lose. Most people are willing to buy a pen that they can afford, appreciate, and if something does happen to it, replace it for a modest price. That is my niche. And I am happy with that.

So it is what it is....and I do not care to retract any of my previous words....as they were spoken with truth, passion, and a sense of real accomplishment. Those that do not believe I am sorry if I offended you in any way. Most of you know though that you usually do not come on here and talk about the bottom line numbers and you treat them like they are some huge secret. One person talkes about it openly and it just cannot be true. Really dont understand that.

I asked a man on here to view a picture of a $1,200.00 pen that he was selling last year and was told that he wouldnt show it because someone would steal his idea. Now dont you think that is a little absurd?? If the kits, wood, finishing techniques are out there dont you think that someone will be doing the same thing sooner or later anyway regardless of you showing him a picture or not? And if you have the audacity to actually try to sell a pen for $1,200.00 wouldnt you be proud enough to show it? How do you sell it if you arent showing it? See the point.........

Susan

PenWorks

Susan, I hope you voted in our pole for annual pen sales.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31269

So far 61% of the turners here do this for pleasure and hobby only. [:)]

MikeInMo

Did I miss something[?]

I have reread this thread a couple of times and can only guess that some posts were removed or there was a lot of private communication that has spilled over here because I didn't see anything that prompted a "defense of my business" post. I saw posts that seemed admiring of what Susan has done and wanted to know more about it, and the response to them seemed to unnecessarily attack those with questions as if they were calling Susan a liar or thief. I didn't see anyone question her integrity.

Personally, I am very impressed with Susan's business. It sounds like she has taken a huge risk and has worked hard to build a successful business around something she is passionate about. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

It's unfortunate to see the direction this thread has turned.

susan41

Hi Everyone!!

I posted some new photos of my most recent work. I've been checking out everyone's new photos daily and I have to say that segmentation is the next hurdle that I plan on going for. I have made a few slimlines using ready made tri color laminate boards and those turned out nice. I made two very very basic slimlines where I actually cut and pieced them back together but they werent too complicated.

Any pointers before I begin this venture regarding cutting, glue up, dry time, etc?? Any contributions would be helpful!!

Thanks!!

Susan

jhs494

Susan,
Did you see some of the pens that were entered in the pen makers challenge for week one?
Wow some real show stoppers!

doddman70

Susan you might get more responses to your questions if you posted in the penturning section rather than the introduction forum. not everybody reads the intro's [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom