A Real, No Knowledge, Newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I guess first I would like to say Hello to everybody.
Making pens is just something I have wanted to do for years. I had a lathe as a teenager about 40 years ago. Made some bowls and little things like that. Haven't touched one since. I decided to jump in with both feet and I bought a Central Machinery 8"x 12" variable speed mini-lathe. I had a 25% off coupon so it was just over $100 with shipping. Haven't even opened it. That is as far as I've gotten. Money is a bit tight as I am raising a grandson while daughter is overseas with USAF. I knew I would have to buy things a little at a time before I could get started but I don't even really know what I need to buy! I know not the most sensible way to get started so after I got the lathe I decided to join IAP and ask some questions. I know I need a good book on the subject and several pieces of equipment. I would appreciate any advice on what to read and what equipment I need. Lathe is just a basic one, not even any cutting tools. I have the normal hand tools and hand power tools that most homeowners have.
If you have time Thanks and if not, I understand.
Boswell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edward Cypher

Welcome Boswell from Denver, CO!! I would say look and see if there is a woodturning guild close to you. Most of them have libraries where you can check out books. Plus there is almost always a mentoring program or someone who will stepup to mentor. I am sure a lot of IAP members will respond shortly and you will get a wealth of additional information. Don't worry many of us started with the bare essentials and have done some amazing work, you are not alone.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, George & thanks to you & your daughter for your service.
Send me a pm with your address and I'll send you a box of pen blanks & a few kits to help you get going.
The main things you'll need are a way to drill the holes in the blanks, at least one turning tool, and a mandrel or some other means of mounting the blanks on the lathe.
You can start out getting these tools fairly inexpensively, but you'll soon get sucked into the vortex with the rest of us.
Edgar

plantman

Welcome Boswel; From Green Bay, Wiconsin. To best pen turning books I would recommend are #1 The Pen Turner's Bible by Richard Kleinhenz. #2 Pen turner's Workbook by Barry Gross. Both of these books will take you from tools needed, turning methods, fit and finish, and all the way into more advanced projects. Both are well written, easy to read and understand, and have fantastic photos, drawings, and well explained instructions. Go to Amazon.com and look by tital or author for the best price in new or used additions. There are many other great books on the market also, but for me personaly I have found these two books to be the most resorceful and complete. Jim S

Last edited:

plano_harry

Welcome from Texas Boswell! The more reading you do here in the library and searching for areas you need help with, the more money you will avoid wasting. I have several good books on pen turning, but they have little information that is not already in the library.

If you don't have sharpening equipment, I think the most economical way to start is with carbides. Here is a link to some low cost options:
Big Guy Productions - Check out cutters on the Cutters Only! page.

cestmoi

Welcome, Boswell! I've only been at this for a couple of months and have learned so much from all the fine folks here at IAP. I agree with the suggestion about getting carbide tools. This will help you put off the expense of getting a grinder and sharpening jigs as well as the frustration of dull tools and learning how to properly sharpen them at least for a while. I bought a Pen Pro from Penn State Industries but there are several brands available, including some from Cap'n Eddie at the link in Harry's post. You'll also need a way to drill your blanks straight and centered. Some do this on the lathe and others use a drill press and pen vice or something they've rigged up for this purpose. You'll need a glue to glue your tubes into your blanks. Popular glues including CA (super glue), gorilla glue, and epoxy. The expenses can (and will) go on and on, but if you have the basics, you can get started.

plantman

Welcome Boswel; From Green Bay, Wiconsin. To best pen turning books I would recommend are #1 The Pen Turner's Bible by Richard Kleinhenz. #2 Pen turner's Workbook by Barry Gross. Both of these books will take you from tools needed, turning methods, fit and finish, and all the way into more advanced projects. Both are well written, easy to read and understand, and have fantastic photos, drawings, and well explained instructions. Go to Amazon.com and look by tital or author for the best price in new or used additions. There are many other great books on the market also, but for me personaly I have found these two books to be the most resorceful and complete. Jim S

That's the third addition of Barry's book, it includes everything covered in the first two, pluss a lot more. Jim S

glen r

Welcome from Alberta, Canada. You've come to the right place to get answers to any questions that you may have. I started with a set of high speed steel tools from Lee Valley but as I don't like sharpening these tools I quickly bought a couple of carbide tools where when the point gets dull you loosen a screw, turn the insert, tighten the screw and keep on turning. I, like many others, do not like sharpening and as a result of that I'm not good at sharpening so carbide is my solution.

akingkubo

Welcome from Lufkin, TX!
I just joined a few weeks earlier than you are. I learned a lot from IAP as a guest before joining. I think all the masters of Pen Turning are in this site and learning from them is a blessings!
Maria

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Welcome I would not buy Drill bit sets but rather buy the individual drill bits as you need them. We use some standard drill bits but not many. A drill press is going to be very useful as well as one of the small 10 inch table top saws or small band saw if you can find used ones cheap. There are several vendors here on Iap that are great and will answer questions on products and are as cheap as you will find for pricing. Check out the market place for the vendor section. Before you buy ask. Every one will help as best they can.

Top Bottom