A Question and a "Hello!" From Sioux City Iowa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Notnate

Hello, my name is Nathan, and over the last several months I have become a turnaholic. I have been an IAP member for a couple of months now and have not really introduced myself. I started turning pens just a few months ago as a hopeful means of making my shop "pay for itself", at least that's what I told my wife. :wink: Thanks to this site in particular, I have had a leg up on techniques I cant even imagine how long it would have taken me to learn on my own, saving me tons of money in experimentation.

My reason for finally introducing myself is that I would like to pick the brains of some of the more experienced turners out there. I have been using an ancient Shopsmith Mark V as my lathe, and it is not the mots accurate of tools to be using, but it has served me well to get a jump on things. I am finally in a position to start upgrading to better equipment, and i have an opportunity to buy a barely used (seriously the thing looks fresh fromt he box) Delta 46-700 12" x 36" variable speed wood lathe for $350. It has MT2 head and tail stocks and the 1" x 8tpi headstock as well. It also comes with a very nice shop built wood bench with covered weight box, factory live and spur centers, knockout bar, wrenches, small face plate, and tool rest.
As you can see that's quite the upgrade from what i have been using and at the same price i paid for the used Shopsmith. My question though, is should I take this offer or wait until i can afford the Jet 1221VS I have been looking at? Length is not so much a bonus with this, and it would almost be a hindrance, and I love the idea of the electronic variable speed with the digital read out. Also the jet also does indexing and I would have to buy an add-on for the delta. :befuddled: Any thoughts are appreciated! :good:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BJohn

Welcome Nathan, glad you finally introduced yourself. I am not in a position to really give you advise on equip, but thought I would just say hello.

By the way took a really short tour of Sioux City in May as I was traveling from Mt. Rushmore back home. From what I saw it's a nice town.

Trey

Love da Jet

Hey there! Nice to meet you.
IMHO I would wait for the Jet. The price is more than worth it. I have been using mine for the last month or so and am addicted to the control it offers. In addition if you aren't turning any large projects then the extra space that the Delta would eat in the shop just isn't worth it.

Just my 2 cents worth, which is more than it's actually worth.
:)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas.
I only have a basic Rockler Excelsior lathe and no experience with either of the ones you mentioned, but I've got my eye on 1221VS whenever I'm ready for an upgrade.

turncrazy43

Welcome Nathan. I would wait on the Jet.May be more but with all the problems with Delta since the company sold to a Tiawanese company parts availability could be a problem for you in the future. Just my 0.02.

Notnate

Thank you all for your welcomes and advice! Upon further investigation into the Delta I have decided against it as it would just be a slightly better form of what i already have, a temporary tool that I am unhappy with. I just need to be steady and put the money away for a month and I will have the one I want.

Here is the Craigslist item in case someone else was interested.
http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/tls/4566574242.html

jj9ball

Hey if you ever want to meet another pen turner you should take a 1 hour road trip to Norfolk. I have had about 6 different lathes now in the last 8 years and I can honestly say that turning a pen on a 36 inch lathe is a lot like duck hunting with a machine gun... it still works but it really is a little bit of overkill. Seriously, if you are ever bored enough to drive over to Norfolk you can pm me and I'd love to show you my shop and how and why it evolved to what it is now. I have the jet 1221 now and after I got the loose knob fixed I do have to say that it is about perfect for pen turning... although it does still have this weird up and down speed issue that was mentioned in another post. Depending on what your pen turning has evolved to you may also want to consider a metal lathe. In my opinion if you can already turn an ok pen on the lathe you have you could probably add a metal lathe and between the two you would be able to do nearly anything. Thanks for joining us and welcome.
Jeff.

Notnate

Thanks for all the welcomes! And thanks to all the advice here as well as my own conscience i have decided to wait on the JET. After looking at my finances i should be able to order one this coming Friday!

Thanks for the invitation Jeff, I may just take you up on that offer as a lot of my start up experience the last few months is guessandbygolly as well as looking up what i can find. I was fortunate to find this site shortly after starting, but considered it too lofty for my meager pocketbook and beginnings. Then about 3 weeks ago i discovered the library here and have been studying it nearly every day. If i make a trip to Lincoln soon to see my sister soon, I might have to give you a hollar!

Thanks again all!

:edit:
The idea of a metal lathe has been rolling in my mind for other purposes. I have an associates degree in mechanical engineering and always assumed i would have one for my home shop someday anyway. Since starting this hobby though the desire for one has been growing. It may be awhile though as i maybe making a huge move in about 4 years and my current garage is too small so much equipment as i would like to have.

Last edited:
Top Bottom