Pine Cones, Big Bear Lake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monark88

Over 40 years ago, I picked up a couple huge pine cones on the way down mountain from Big Bear, Ca. They had fallen from a tree onto the roadway. One was 16" in length and the other one was about 12".

I was told they were from a Sugar Pine tree.
I've turned both of them into pens, I would like to get some
more-anyone know of an outlet? Or, another pine cone as large as this
one?

I did do a search, and found an outlet, but am unsure of what I will get.
thanks Russ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave_M

We have a lot of sugar pines up in the high country around here and the pine cones are very large. Problem is the snow is really deep up there right now. The snow pack is 160% of normal this year. The really deep powdery stuff otherwise I would grab a few for you on my next trip up the hill.

Robert Taylor

the biggest cones that i would seek are called colter pine cones according to william young. would like to see some of those sugar pine cones though. i have been using afghan pine cones from south carolina.

Dave_M

The Sugar Pine Cones around here average 16" to 20" long and probably 8" to 10" in diameter. Some of the biggest I've ever seen. People collect them all the time for various craft projects. I've even seen some of the locals selling bags of the larger ones at the local craft fairs.

SDB777

That's one big cone!

Do the Sugar Cones stay closed like the Afghan Cones? If not, do the seeds stay in the cones?

Or do they need to be trimmed and then 'cast in something' in order to turn them?

Scott (I like those Afghans) B

Dave_M

They open up and drop their seeds. I've never turned one but I would imagine they need to be trimmed and cast or stabilized somehow.

You can find them in various places around California like Big Bear and Yosemite but remember it's illegal to pick up pine cones from State & National parks.

Here is a pic of some sugar pine pine cones just to give you an idea of their size. These are big but you can find larger ones if you're willing to hunt them down.

1024.jpg

monark88

mine stayed closed, pretty much. I trimmed with B. saw. then used Ca glue as I turned. A LOT of glue. But everything stayed together. I'll put up a pic when I get the new caMERA.
RUSS

monark88

wOW. THOSE Are really larger than mine were. mine stayed closed, pretty much. I trimmed with B. saw. then used Ca glue as I turned. A LOT of glue. But everything stayed together. I'll put up a pic when I get the new caMERA.
didn't know at the time I picked them up, but family told me when I got back home and I showed my prizes. Uh oh.
RUSS

Top Bottom