Perhaps an into is necessary...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dhop1218

Hello, from Glasgow, Scotland!

I have been lurking for a few months now gathering tips and tricks!
Thank you to those who have shared valuable information with us newbies!
I am a Engineer / Product Designer / Photographer by trade. Although I am currently back at college and not employed.

When I saw the birthday bash contest I thought it would be a good opportunity to push myself to actually finish a pen! It had become a bit of a routine to make half a pen body and then leave it in bits because it wasn't as good as I had wanted!

I am truly delighted with the results. It has given me the confidence needed to push on and make more pens! Perhaps I will dig through the graveyard of pen bits and make some finished pieces now.

Duncan

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 179
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BobGast

Hi Duncan! Nice pen, nice photography. I haven't read any books on photography but I do lapidary work (rocks), I've always been told to use a white background, but the funny thing is, my work shows up best with a dark background. But I use my cell phone to take pictures.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Duncan. A warm welcome from a chilly North Wales. Like I've already said, that is a stunning pen. You mentioned aluminium in the contest, where about on the pen is it?

Dhop1218

BobGast - I did try a white background for the same reasons as you mention, but for some reason the camera lost all definition of the colours in the grain! There is also a some sort of subconscious connection between a black background and a luxury product!

Skiprat - I appreciate the kind comments. I have made a thin aluminium tube threaded and drilled to take the feed housing, and to screw into the body. I pushed the wood and copper stripes onto this tube and glued it all up before shaping the grip section. In the body, the hammered copper is pushed onto an aluminium tube that runs down the inside of the pen supporting the wood. Both parts were done like this to reduce the weight at either end of the pen.

magpens

Duncan,

You really sprung on us .... entering your beautiful pen and winning the contest and THEN, ONLY THEN ...... introducing yourself !!!!!!!

Is that a sign that we are well advised to condition ourselves for more surprises from you ?

Hope so !!

Congratulations on your winning pen, and, oh, by the way ..... Welcome to IAP !!!!

Oh, and yet another thing, don't resurrect all the corpses in your graveyard .... give some others a chance at a win !!! :biggrin:

Last edited:

magpens

Sorry to hear about your hand ... guess that puts paid to pen turning for a few days.

OZturner

Welcome Duncan, From Sydney Australia,
I hope that your Broken Hand, wasn't from, too much deserved, Patting Your Self on your Back. :eek: :redface:

Congratulations on your Win.
Well done with your Magnificent Entry Pen.
Great Proportions, Profile, Segmenting, Fit and Finish.
Beautiful Craftsmanship.
I look forward to seeing more, when you get to them.
Regards,
Brian.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'Day Duncan!

I loved your entry pen. The overall appearance was very different from finishes, accent pieces, custom parts that are typical. Well done, and I hope you continue to inspire us.

Also, Welcome from Ohio.

Have FUN!

Rolandranch

Welcome to IAP! Your work is truly outstanding. At the first glance at your pen, I thought it was a Ryan Krusac pen. I was also impressed by your photography. I really look forward to seeing what other pens you come out with.
I hope your hand heals quickly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom