Penturner Tenderfoot from Colorado

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JFD

It took me over a year but I finally bite the bullet and started my new hobby. After reading and looking into a lot of different facets of woodwork and with time being somewhat of a factor (two boys under 3), I choose pen turning. Yesterday, I turned my first pen! It wasn't a complete failure nor success but with all the talented people and helpful information posted on IAP I am hopeful that it shouldn't take to long to produce pens that I will actually be proud of.

I do have one question if yall could spare a min. I have reviewed and spent some time on the IAP links directory but for the beginner trying to find cheaper pen kits, wood, etc. what website should I buy from? I have bought several sets from Woodcraft and I know there has to be better quality kits out there that will also not break the bank Any help is appreciated.

JFD

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Manny

Hey there take a look at the links tab then venders. So many quality venders there. Exotic woods, Beartooth woods, Lau Lau Woodworks to just name a few. I also buy from Arizona silhouette to just name a few of my favorites
Manny

ctubbs

Welcome JD, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/librar...en_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Have a look at the series of videos ed4copies has just posted showing how to complete a pen from drill to finish.
For some practice you can use just any wood you find, drill a 1/4" hole, slide it on your mandrel and turn. This gives you nearly free practice with your tools and sanding. Once you have a decent piece of turning, you can then start practicing your finishing techniques. Put a finish on, look at it for your problems, turn it off and do it again until you run out of usable blank, grab another chunk of wood and start over. No tubes are needed, no kits ruined for this practice. Most here call this wood, FOG wood. (Found On Ground)

Charles

cwolfs69

welcome to the vortex. all of the vendors that i have dealt with here are great. each has different pros and cons but all do fine by their customers, us.

Welcome from Michigan. In addition to the vendors mentioned above, take a look at Craft Supplies USA (also known as Woodturners Catalog) and Penn State Industries (normally referred to here as PSI). They are 2 of the larger sellers but they have a wide selection of kit pens in a variety of price points.

Top Bottom