Noob near Madison, WI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FredJ

I've done some lathe work at a communal shop open to seniors in my home town, but my main product there was rolling pins. I made my first pen at a meeting of Badger Woodturners last May. First there was a demonstration by an experienced turner, then the club had set up several lathes to allow "never before turned a pen" folks like myself to try their hands. Pre-drilled and pre-tubed blanks were available, mandrels & bushings & even turning tools all ready. Each of us noobs had a mentor by our side. I'd never worked on something this small before. I got great guidance & turned, sanded and finished (walnut oil) my first pen ever within 20 minutes or so. The club specializes in educating people like myself, and I have learned a huge amount about turning stuff besides rolling pins.

I was so pleased with the first pen that I bought 3 cigar pen&pencil kits, mandrels & bushings, and blanks for the communal shop. Made those 6, as gifts for my three sons-in-law. Then I bought some more kits & bushings, then even more. I also bought "Pen Turner's Work Book" by Barry Gross. So far, I've completed 22 units, which I hope to sell at craft fairs where I've sold rolling pins, cutting boards and trivets before.

I even bought myself a 10x18 lathe from Harbor Freight for $150 on sale and will be turning pens in my basement soon. This is FUN!:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

HamTurns

I made my first pen at a meeting of Badger Woodturners last May. First there was a demonstration by an experienced turner, then the club had set up several lathes to allow "never before turned a pen" folks like myself to try their hands.

Hi Fred - I am glad to hear that my demonstration and mentoring is paying off in fun.

Welcome to the IAP, it's a great group of folks.

Happy turning
Tom

Top Bottom