Noob Caster from Ohio

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eealdrich

Hi y'all! Checking in from New Carlisle, Ohio--a little ways north of Dayton. I'm originally from Kentucky, but the Air Force saw fit to put us here ten years ago, and here we stayed. I'm actually about half of a penturning duo, I recently started casting but my husband has been turning for about eight years. He found this site to be such a great source of help that I decided to join too, for help and advice in my casting adventures. I've already gained valuable insight from other posters, and for that, I'm thankful.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Catski1

Welcome to the forums. Best of luck on your casting creations. There are lots of good people here, and videos on the YouTube if you're looking at casting things specific. Casting is one of my favorite things about making pens and I often wish I had unlimited funds to try all sorts of ideas. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

@Catski1

jttheclockman

Welcome aboard and lets see what you got. We love photos here. What type casting are you doing?? There are many different kinds of casting and materials used in casting. Love to read more. Hope you stick around. :)

eealdrich

Welcome aboard and lets see what you got. We love photos here. What type casting are you doing?? There are many different kinds of casting and materials used in casting. Love to read more. Hope you stick around. :)

I'm using Alumilite, and I've already made my first couple of blanks. I regret that I didn't get a picture of the first, I thought it was pretty clever (embedding leftover laser-cut inlays into alumilite), but I'm pretty happy with the way my daughter's blank turned out. Now her twin sister wants one (they're four, they want everything the other has), but different colors.

Attachments

• AnniePen1.jpg
    AnniePen1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 108
  • AnniePen2.jpg
    AnniePen2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 106

eealdrich

Very nice looking pink pen you posted! Welcome aboard!

Thank you! Funny thing is, I really meant for it to be purple, but it ended up being a lesson in how translucent the Jaquard Pearl Ex can be. It worked out in the end, though, one of my twins LOVES pink and was smitten as soon as she saw it.

TimS124

Very nice looking pink pen you posted! Welcome aboard!

Thank you! Funny thing is, I really meant for it to be purple, but it ended up being a lesson in how translucent the Jaquard Pearl Ex can be. It worked out in the end, though, one of my twins LOVES pink and was smitten as soon as she saw it.

One of my first couple attempts at casting produced a strange shade of green very close to mint chocolate chip ice cream's green. I was using fluorescent green dye and it looked great as I was stirring...afterwards, I realized I mixed it into Alumilite white instead of clear. The white made a big difference in the final coloring (oops) but now I know how to make mint chocolate chip ice cream green if I ever need it... :biggrin:

Top Bottom