newly addicted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fafow

Hey all! I'm Craig Raper and I'm a pen turning addict. hah. Well, it is certainly addicting. My wife has been involved in woodworking for a number of years and over the last few we have been working on buying the right equipment for her. We are getting close to a complete shop and Christmas of 2006 she bought me a Jet 12inch lathe along with some tools for it. I had wanted to make bowls and spent time this year here and there just getting familiar with the lathe and how the different gouges and skews work. I finally made my first pen Dec 16 of this year and after doing a few of them got kind of hooked. I always figured making pens would be a minor thing for me and I would do most of my work on bowls. Well, I still hope to get to bowls, but pens are a heck of a lot of fun and I have gotten a lot of satisfaction hearing opinions of family and friends about the pens I have given out as gifts. Amazing how they look past the small imperfections even when told that they are there. I am a fairly quick learner and have been doing a lot of research on finishing. I was surprised to see how wide open that is in terms of what is best. This site is great for getting all kinds of info to help in my quest to make pens as best as I can. Thanks for the comments that have been posted. I've learned a lot from reading them and have gotten some courage to try a few things as well. Keep up the good work. Almost forgot... I work as a mainframe computer consultant designing software and data modeling (database design). My other main hobby is baking/cooking and in what little time I have left I have been converting cassette tapes to cd and cleaning up the sound using Sound Forge.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome to the group. What's a defect? I've never had a defect, though I have had a lot of unexpected design features.[;)]

Daniel

Welcome, I bought a lathe over 20 years ago to turn things like goblets. I turned the first thing larger than a pen in the last two weeks.

rherrell

Welcome Craig! I have a huge vinyl collection of rock, blues and big band jazz that I am converting to cd using DAK hardware and software. Ever heard of it?

Rick_G

Welcome Craig. I've only been here a while but it seems like a great group. Lots of experience and willing to help. I also am into computers and sound. I have a huge collection of vinyl that I have accumulated over the last 40 years that I am slowly (very slowly) transferring to CD.

You have stepped into a very deep vortex.

karlkuehn

Banned
Hi and a big welcome to you! This site has changed my whole aspect on turning, and after browsing and joining many of the forums out there, this one has become my second home. There's so much knowledge in the archives, it's just amazing, even for a seasoned vet!

I think the secret is that there's enough of us wackos out here posting crazy ideas and alternative methods (most of the time based on innovation due to lack of resources or tools) that you're bound to find something that you'd never have thought of even on a good (or bad) day! I know I have!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom