Newish turner in Dallas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

indytruks138

Hey everyone. I am a hobby woodworker who got into turning pens at the end of 2017. I went crazy and bought a bunch of exotic/spalted blanks off ebay, didn't know about stabilization, and gave up pens after about 8 blanks blew up while drilling or turning.
I just started turning again a few weeks ago and have the bug again. I got all those blanks stabilized and they are turning beautifully.
I currently do my turning at Dallas Makerspace but I'm looking into getting my own midi lathe soon. I'm leaning towards the TurnCrafter 12" variable speed from PSI. Anyone have any pro's/con's for that lathe?
I look forward to chatting with and learning from the community.
I know my pen photography needs some work lol.

Attachments

• Spalted maple pen.jpg
    Spalted maple pen.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 107
  • spalter maple pen open.jpg
    spalter maple pen open.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 92
  • pen variety1.jpg
    pen variety1.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 125
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Ryan to IAP. Join in the fun here.

Blanks do blow out on occasion but if several in a row, it usually means drilling too fast or the blank need to be reinforced before turning.

The thinner the wall, the more likely it will blow out under normal circumstances.

You can drill a hole through a 2x4 without a problem because there is a lot of "meat" to hold the wood together while drilling. But thin wood - the integrity of the wood is but an eighth of an inch. It is gonna blow. Stabilized blanks do better. Still, with delicate blanks, put them in a blank vise or turn them on the lathe.

Some great information here in our library: Library Index - International Association of Penturners

Also, look here for some people in the Dallas area to maybe help you with questions:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/membermap.php

Last edited:

indytruks138

Welcome from the Houston area, Ryan.

Nice pens - I really like that cigar pen in the last photo.

Thanks Edgar, I used the Magnetic kit from Crooked Mill. I really enjoy that kit, I've made a couple and have more kits to make. That pen is from one of the spalted maple blanks that were blowing up on me before I got them stabilized, they turn great now. If you ever make it up to Dallas you should make time to come tour Dallas Makerspace, it is a makers dream. We are expanding from 16,000 sq ft to 34,000 sq ft in the next few months and have the tools and committees to make anything you can imagine.

bmcclellan

Welcome to the IAP. Man I have destroyed an many of blanks. To me that is the fun of it. Its all about the experience and the time in the shop. Keep posting we all love seeing each others progress.

indytruks138

Welcome to the IAP. Man I have destroyed an many of blanks. To me that is the fun of it. Its all about the experience and the time in the shop. Keep posting we all love seeing each others progress.

Thanks, since starting back up I had one blank blow up with about 5-10 seconds left of turning, I just laughed and decided I might sand down the last 1/32" instead of trying to fine turn them perfectly flat with the bushing. The thing that upset me the most is the barrel trimmers will sometimes tear up the brass tube, just rip it to shreds, no clue what I am doing wrong there. Think I will start doing that piece on the lathe along with drilling as I bought the pen drilling headstock from PSI.

bmcclellan

The thing that upset me the most is the barrel trimmers will sometimes tear up the brass tube, just rip it to shreds, no clue what I am doing wrong there. Think I will start doing that piece on the lathe along with drilling as I bought the pen drilling headstock from PSI.

I starting using the Pen Blank Squaring jigs I got from Exoticblanks. I love them.

indytruks138

Welcome to the IAP Ryan, from Scotland!

Thank you, I'll be in Scotland in May. One night in Glasgow, then 4 days out on Islay to pay my respects to those glorious peated malts, then one more night in Glasgow. I'm also going to get in a round at the Machrie links! Super excited to visit Scotland.

Willee

Welcome to the hobby.
That is a very good lathe and with the addition of a Barracuda style 4 jaw chuck you can drill blanks quickly and accurately.

Top Bottom