Newby from U.P.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

writestuff

Hi all, Ive been turning pens for about four years, nothig special, but they do make great gifts. I will add pix of several of my latest to this thread. I recently excaped from another forum, and have been lurking here for some time. I work with two lathes, a HF 34706, and a sweet Jet 1220VS.
Right now, I'm working with my first celluloid blanks and expierencing a learning curve. Will post pix when I get that tecnique figured out. I am posting three pix with this thread, Two Executive pens in amboyna burl, and a zebrawood from an end grain blank. These are finished with CA. Your comments are welcome. IMG_0554_edited-1 (762 x 201).jpg

IMG_0556_edited-2 (600 x 126).jpg

zebrawood comfort (600 x 114) (150 x 28).jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

Bob, sorry our quota of Bobs have been taken, any chance we call you Joe?:confused: :biggrin: Welcome from Texas!!:wink: Nice work, BTW!!:cool:

writestuff

Zebrawood?

Welcome, from Wisconsin!

I've tried turning that cross-grained Zebrawood - that ain't no easy thing to do.
As I found out when one end of a blank went "south" on me. Fortunately I had a comfort tip to take its place. I found that sharp tools and cutting towards the center of the blank let me salvedge the other blank. Whew!

WS.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Bob. You are doing great! Keep up the good work! Up where you are, you will definitely need a heater for making and finishing pens in the winter!

Below are two links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome WS. Those are very nice pens! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

The next time you want to post pens for comment and such, use the Forum called, "Show off your pens." If you have other woodwork you've done, there is a Forum called "Other things we make."

Top Bottom