newbie wsants to make pens for 10 grandkids in June

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomcoleman1

Greetings from Florida

My son recently returned my Delta 46-700 variable speed lathe and a set of Sorby turning tools that I loaned him 35 years ago to make salad bowls while he was in USAF in upstate NY. I'm still using the salad bowl and took possession of the lathe a week ago. A local expert turner is sharpening the Sorby tools tmw and will give me some basic lathe training. The lathe my son returned was newly purchased and I have zero experience. I will take the lathe to my summer cabin in Maine next month. Enroute we will have a 5 family gathering at a large house on a lake in SC. All of my grandkids ages 8-15 will be there. My son who made the salad bowl will also be there as local lathe expert based on 1 project he did 35 years ago.

I would like to turn pens for 10 grandkids next month. I know I have to buy pen kits, mandrel, bushings and what else? I will bring my Worksharp 3000 to Maine this trip but will have few other tools available while in SC. I can also bring a light duty vise or small bar clamps for press fitting pens if that will work.

I have been looking for pre-drilled pen blanks on the web, some of them have tubes already inserted. Ideally I can source blanks that have tubes already inserted and ends squared so that all we have to do is mount them on mandrel and shave down to desired thickness. Best solution would be easy to turn material requiring very simple finishing.........perhaps oil and wax finish while still on lathe...........or would acrylic be easier?

Anyways, I am looking forward to getting to know this lathe that I bought 35 years ago and to learning how to turn starting with pen sets. All I have at this time is the lathe, a face plate and turning tools. I'll need to understand how to attach mandrel to lathe (morse tapers or whatever) and do whatever needs to be done to keep turning tools sharp. If this is easily done on Worksharp 3000 great, if not maybe I swap that jig for slow speed wheel and Wolverine jig.

In any case, I look forward to learning to turn and becoming an active member on this forum. Any suggestions you make re sourcing my initial pen kits and how to get started will be very much appreciated.

My experieince of a 35 year gap between buying a lathe and using it probably sets me in a unique class.

florida gramps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Welcome Tom, and all your grandchildren, from Sydney Australia.
Sounds like you have a good supply of people ready to accept your Work.
Scour through the IAP library, and you will find answers and suggestions to most if not all of your questions.
Also look up a local turning group, they will give you all the "good oil" you need.
Brian.

Sawdust1825

If you wanted more flexibility in blank choices have someone drill the blanks for you. I have found the drilling to be a piece of cake since getting a PSI pen blank drilling chuck. Your choices are limited in buying predrilled but wide open if they need drilled. Also get an extra blank or two just in case disaster strikes. Some woods or materials are never a problem but some are very temperamental.

Joe S.

I would suggest starting with a "sierra" style pen. They all look about the same but the names are different at different suppliers. Sierra, Mesa, Gatsby, and Wallstreet II are the ones I can think of now. It will be an easier kit to start making 10 pens from because it only has one tube to turn and finish instead of the 20 you would have to do on slimlines, it is a little thicker so there is less of a chance of a blowout, it is a common kit so you could find pre-tubed blanks for it, it uses the better Parker style refill, and makes a sharp looking pen!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Exoticblanks.com as a source. The sierra style as a pen kit choice. Acrylic for the blanks. Kids like pretty colors easier to finish than wood. There are other great recources for turning supplies as well. woodnwhimsies.com. Beartoothwoods.com Smittys. Look in the vendor section of the market place.

Edward Cypher

Welcome from Colorado. Sounds like Gramps has a lot to do but it will be a blast and something the grandkids will hold on to forever. Good luck and post pics when you get the pens done. I do agree with Joe the sierra series is a good start and you only have to turn one barrel per pen. A little more expensive than slims but shows off the wood or plastic a lot better. If your grandkids are into bright colors go with the acrylic some turn as easy as wood and some do not. If you do not want to worry about sharpening to start with a carbide tool does a wonderful job and does not need sharpening for quite a while. Enjoy the forum and thank your son for his military service. Go to AAW website and see if there are any turning guilds either in florida near you or in main. The people belonging to these guilds are wonderful with their time, tools and general help.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
For easy finishing, either acrylic or diamondwood.

For easy pens and half the cost of materials, use a sierra family (two pens per normal five inch long blank)

You can assemble using your lathe tailstock as the "ram" and then no other assembly tools are required. You MAY want to make a jig for the headstock to hold the pen while you insert the parts---depends on how many hands you have:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Quality Pen

When I first started I only had the "required" parts... but I soon (read: a few pens) realized that certain "optional" tools are required if you have any concern regarding time. Over time, the cost more than justifies the time/aggravation savings.

But I don't know what you want I guess... whether its just to make the 10 pens or make 10 pens every week ;)

To me... the easiest thing you could do is just get some soft wood like poplar and turn that. It is, to me, far more forgiving than any acrylics. Also, you can pick up a LOT for dirt cheap on ebay. Plenty to practice on...

kovalcik

I concur witht eh suggestion for a sierra style pen. (I recommend the LeRoi from smittyspenworks.com. That is my favorite.) I would go acrylic blanks or wood with a friction polish finish. Unles you buy pre-tubed blanks, you will have to drill and glue the tube in. I suggest buying the bearings, 60 degree live center, and a mandrel for the most straight forward approach. You could use the bushings and turn between centers (you will need a 60 degree dead center) and forget the mandrel.

One thing I like about the LeRoi pens is the hardware has a bead on the nib and finial ends next to the blank so you do not have to be perfect when turning the pens to the final diameter. I think the Gatsby has this feature also.

Top Bottom