Newbie from VA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KN75

Well after lurking for a few months I finally decided to say hello.

I have been woodworking many years and really got into pen turning about a year ago......read as: decided to buy my own lathe.

I owe all of you a "thank you" for the knowleadge and the "I want to try that" ideas I have gathered so far.

Now if I could just find the time to get down to my shop and make a some pens.

Keith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

Welcome, welcome. Please come inside and check your wallet at the door. The door to your left is for storing the many blanks of wood you will overzealously buy and justify to your spouse that "you will turn them all someday", and the door to the right is for the ever increasingly specialized tools that you will end up buying to try the hundreds of different variations of drilling a hole in a piece of wood and making it round. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. Welcome, to the world of pen turning!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Keith. The madness will empty your pockets fast! :biggrin:

Below is a link to a PDF file that gives a general overview of tools, methods, pens and options that might be helpful in making pens. It does not go into detail of the many aspects at all, but just gives a general overview and options. There are a few minor mistakes that will hopefully be corrected in the near future but overall it gives some basic directions. With your background in woodworking, you probably already know most of it, if not all.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

MDWine

Just a bit of a nudge Keith, if you can get to the picnic even for a short time, I think it would be worth the visit. I think we usually start around noon-ish, but James will give you the details I'm sure.

Most of these folks are pretty darn nice :)rotfl: J/K), and we have an awful lot of fun. There's a lot of experience here, so brain picking is acceptable!! (If I can find mine, I might even bring it! :clown:)

I would bet money that you'd have a great time!

Hope to see you there!

Michael

KN75

Thanks for the nudge michael. My check out at the beach is that morning, so I should be back to the area by noon.

I'm all about brain picking people with more experience than myself; I've even been known to have a couple of bright ideas.:clown:

Draken

Grilling starts at noon as indicated in the post I linked. Usually folks start showing up around 11, some folks a bit later, like 1 or 2, so anytime you can make it would be great. Post in the other thread if you're able to make it, and who knows, you may even win a door prize.

Cheers!

carverken

Keith, Hello from just up the road at Independant Hill Rt 234 and Hoadly. If you have any questions or need help you can PM me too. And welcome

Ken

KN75

Ken
I'm literally down the road from you, just the other end of Hoadley . Thanks for the offer of help, I'm sure I'll have a few questions as I delve deeper into this addiction we all call penmaking.

Keith

MDWine

CARVERKEN???

CARVERKEN!!!!

CARVERKEN came by!!!!! :banana:

Hey buddy!! :rotfl:
I've had a bit of a rotten day, but seeing you here just cheered me up!!! :bananen_smilies027:

Top Bottom