Newbie from Scotland

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jigsawbob

Hello everyone
My name is Robert I have been doing scroll work for a few years and recently purchased a second hand lathe to try turning and started learning on some small projects and then found pen turning (big mistake now the wallet is empty).
have been in and around the site for a couple of weeks lots of intresting information available from everyone and have learned a few thing.
keep up the good work
Thanks Robert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Robert,

We are glad to have you as a member. I'm sure that you have seen that we have several members in the UK.

Yes, pen turning "turns" your wallet into a sieve!! :biggrin:

Len Shreck

Welcome Robert I too am a scroll saw that am just starting into Pen Turning at the expense of my wallet becoming empty and my wife giving me not so nice looks...lol. Glad you joined and and introduced yourself. Len

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Robert, from sunny southern California. There are certainly enough things around here to whet your appetite.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Robert! You are right that the money seems to drain from the wallet fairly quick! But this is fun! Post some picts of your work - pens or scroll work!

Karin Voorhis

welcome. looking forward to see what you do when you add your 1st talent with your turnering your going be making some great blanks

bracky1

Woohoo, another member from Gods country :wink:
Looking at the weather, I think he may have forsaken us though :biggrin:
Maybe time to build an Ark instead of a pen :biggrin:

Welcome!

I must agree with Bracky when he refers to Scotland as 'God's Country'. My only trip abroad was to spend two weeks (and a couple thousand pounds) driving from one end of Scotland to the other. Loved every minute and every pint and every dram. Can't wait to do it again.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hiya Bob,
Welcome to the madness:biggrin:
We now have several Scots here so you are in good company.
However, I think us lot in Wales can rival the crummy weather that you have.:frown:
And of course you are correct about Bonny Scotland being God's country. When we get the rare chance to go on a family break, my kids always shout 'Scotland!!!' when we asked where they want to go. :biggrin:

Top Bottom