New to turning and penmaking - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Introductions
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Introductions Are you a new member? Visit here and introduce yourself.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 387

Welcome from Ohio. Enjoy!
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 68

Welcome Denise, from Sydney Australia.
Brian.

OZturner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Welcome Denise! Pen turning is an amazing hobby that allows for a ton of creativity. Here's a pic on one of my Deer Antler pens where I used some thin Aluminum around some Padauk for accent. On your Corian - perhaps this might work. Good luck and welcome to IAP!
RossVH
Attached Thumbnails
segmented-deer-antler-pen.jpg  
rossvh is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 0

WOW!!!! THANKS for the warm welcome. There is so much great information on this forum!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS124 View Post
For somebody that's just starting, you've already hit about half the major types of pen blanks! :big grin:

I've turned Corian a few times (or another company's version of it - not sure which)…turned nicely though very powdery.

The glue line bugged me even with sanding before gluing so I switched to a slice of Walnut between the chunks of Corian. The Walnut was maybe an 1/8" thick…it's important to drill parallel to the center strip if you go that route…or make sure you're well off parallel so it's obvious you meant to have the strip either running the length of the pen or running at an angle.

I like the Walnut strip (the Corian is white with tiny specs so the Walnut contrasts nicely) but the buddy that gave me the Corian seems to prefer pure Corian….
If I have only done half, what am I missing????? I guess I like to try lots of options.!! Not sure if this is pure Corian or another brand, I guess I am using that as a generic term.

I love the idea of putting in a piece of accent wood. Do you still use just medium CA glue for the Corian to wood glue up or something different? Also, it sounds really interesting to put a piece of aluminum in there. Can't wait to research that and give it a go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbear76 View Post
I also acquired a large supply of corian. They have been selling well for me as stylus pens.

I have been making the "hidden pill compartment" key ring using different colors of corian. The hide the glue line, I glue a piece of aluminum coke can between the corian. So far, that's been working very well. Just med CA and clamp. Drill the hole slowly with a sharp drill bit to avoid the segments separating.
These are BEAUTIFUL and kind of what I had in mind with mixing and matching the Corian. THANKS for the inspiration!!! I have some of the hidden compartment key rings on order and are waiting for them to arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Cypher View Post
Welcome from Colorado. Glad you decided to join your husband wish I could convince my wife. Enjoy it is so relaxing and frustrating, as they say here welcome to the insanity.
My husband is excited to have me join him. He would buy anything I want or need in order for me to be successful. Actually, as a family we spend a considerable amount of the winter season hanging out in his shop working on projects. This year we added a wood burner to burn all of the shop scraps and to add a little extra heat and give the furnace a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman123 View Post
Welcome Denise. I am surprised no one mentioned to you that we also like to see pictures.
Hope you enjoy your time here. We have a great library with lots of helpful ideas and techniques in there.

Ray
THANKS!!! My pens are not photo worthy, yet. They will get there someday. I'll think about adding a photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plano_harry View Post
Welcome from Texas Denise! Try a tapered reamer to ease the inside lip of the tubes. It will make the components easier to press. Also, take extra care to make sure there is absolutely no glue inside the tube. Instead of being pushed out of the way, it will often cause your nicely turned and polished blank to crack on assembly.
THANKS for that tip. We have some sort of special bit that cleans out the inside of the tube while you are also squaring up the end of the blank. Not sure if it is tapered though. There are several different size bits though. Will have to check in to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvh View Post
Welcome Denise! Pen turning is an amazing hobby that allows for a ton of creativity. Here's a pic on one of my Deer Antler pens where I used some thin Aluminum around some Padauk for accent. On your Corian - perhaps this might work. Good luck and welcome to IAP!
RossVH
WOW that is beautiful and so rich looking. How does the antler turn. Is it easy or hard? Is there any special prep work to the antler? May have to go out on a hike when the snow clears and find a piece of antler.

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome. I am really enjoying myself. I have a couple of blanks that I glued up the other day that are just calling my name!!!
QuiltinMom is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #25 (permalink)

Welcome Denise, from sunny South Africa.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #26 (permalink)

Welcome from California!
elance is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 AM   #27 (permalink)

Welcome on board from the UK
http://www.northyorkshirepenmaster.co.uk
Penmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2014, 04:58 AM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiltinMom View Post
WOW!!!! THANKS for the warm welcome. There is so much great information on this forum!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS124 View Post
For somebody that's just starting, you've already hit about half the major types of pen blanks! :big grin:

<snip>
If I have only done half, what am I missing????? I guess I like to try lots of options.!! Not sure if this is pure Corian or another brand, I guess I am using that as a generic term.

I love the idea of putting in a piece of accent wood. Do you still use just medium CA glue for the Corian to wood glue up or something different? Also, it sounds really interesting to put a piece of aluminum in there. Can't wait to research that and give it a go!!
Here are a few materials I didn't see listed in your opening post:

- antler
- inlace acrylester
- poly resin
- amalgum mutts
- something you've cast yourself

The first is one of my favorites and turns much easier than I originally dreaded it would.

The last is still on my to-do list but I think I finally have all of the pieces I'll need rounded up (modified pressure pot, resin, mold, mold caddy, dyes, misc things to embed, measuring scale, mixing cups, dedicated spatulas, stir sticks, drop cloths, lucky rabbit's foot…).

Yes, I simply used CA glue to hold the Walnut and Corian together. CA loves both of those materials and doesn't seem to mind holding one to the other.

Another option would be the thin sheets of colored plastic that are sold for laminating/segmenting accents. It would give an easy-to-turn, easy-to-trim, colorful layer (or multiple bands of color). I'm drawing a blank at the moment on where to find those sheets though. (oops).
TimS124 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #29 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Welcome from the Rocky Mountains! You mentioned wanting to try your hand at casting. Fair warning… one time and you will be addicted! There is something about creating your own custom blank and realizing that it's 100% unique to you and your style. Happy turning!
Marko50 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads