New turner from Toronto, Ontario.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Prhen1

Hi all. I've been visiting your site so often since I started turning pens that I felt I had to join - such a lot of expertise and such great tips and advice!
I'm a retired teacher who has just started turning (on my dad's old Shopsmith, circa 1984), and have got to the point where I want to try some of the variations I see here - Celtic crosses, scallops, etc. Also realize I need to make some jigs before I can be really accurate in my cutting. Thanks to your contributors, I have some ideas for that, too. :)
Paul H

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas
Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on some segmenting jigs. We are always open to new ideas.

Katya

Welcome, Paul! Good to have you here! I'm in Toronto too, and a member of the Toronto Woodturners Guild. Check us out- there are some excellent turners and a good number of penspinners, too.

Prhen1

Thanks for the welcome everyone. So nice to hear from so many different locations, including someone next door wood-of-1kind. Katya, I've heard of the woodturners' guild from my local Lee Valley guy. Where do you meet? (just in case my work ever gets good enough to show!) Re the segmenting jig - I'm trying to come up with something that can be used to make scallops, Celtic crosses and slice thin inserts, AND is adjustable to 30, 45 or 60°. May not be feasable to do all in one jig...

wood-of-1kind

Thanks for the welcome everyone. So nice to hear from so many different locations, including someone next door wood-of-1kind. Katya, I've heard of the woodturners' guild from my local Lee Valley guy. Where do you meet? (just in case my work ever gets good enough to show!) Re the segmenting jig - I'm trying to come up with something that can be used to make scallops, Celtic crosses and slice thin inserts, AND is adjustable to 30, 45 or 60°. May not be feasable to do all in one jig...

The TWG meets at Humber College once (usually) a month with the exception of the summer months.

magpens

Welcome, Paul !! Looking forward to seeing some of your work and hearing about tips that you discover !

Top Bottom