New Turner from Suwanee, GA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Proud2Turn

Hello. Just started turning pens, and heard some good things about IAP from some folks at the local Woodcraft store… so here I am to see if I can learn something, share in this fun hobby, and perhaps eventually contribute something. I've done basic wood working and some scroll saw stuff, but turning has a special appeal to me. So far I've only turned two pens that turned out pretty well. Thankfully no failed attempts yet. Both pens are slimlines (7mm); one oak with chrome hardware and the other macassar ebony with copper hardware. Going to give acrylic a try this evening. Try to post some photos – can't wait to try the great photo tips in the forum here.

Look forward to getting to know folks and making sawdust piles.

Attachments

• FirstPens_Proud2Turn.jpg
    FirstPens_Proud2Turn.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 215

ctubbs

Welcome Tim, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Charles

Proud2Turn

Thanks for the welcome neighbor, G1

HEY TIM....Welcome from SUWANEE, GA.....where do you live? We might be neighbors !! I see you are into motorcycles as well....me too!

I live in the north west part of Suwanee, couple of miles below Buford dam off of Hwy 20. Took a quick tour of G1 Pens... very very nice work indeed. If you don't mind I may want to reach out to you for some local resource for a couple of pen projects that have come up - namely laser engraving. Now for motorcycles... are you a sportbiker or crusier? I've only been riding for a couple of seasons now on my humble Vulcan 800.

joek30296

Welcome Tim from the other side of ATL, Newnan. I wondered how G1Pens got that you were into motorcycles just from your first post. I certainly didn't. Then I kept reading and figured it out, duh!

Joe

Proud2Turn

Issue getting acrylic turned smooth

Need a little info, advice, direction, sympathy... This my second attempt at turning an acrylic pen; first one turned out ok (not great, but ok), but the second gave me fits. It did everything but turn smoothly and evenly. I could really use a little feedback on this... are acrylics just hard to turn sometimes (get a difficult blank), or did I just get a reminder that I've got a long ways to go on my learning curve? Any methods for smoothing it out after it is turned to size?

BTW: Great tip on photography, trying to put them to use.

Attachments

• Pen_WrongTurn.jpg
    Pen_WrongTurn.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Pens_1stThree.jpg
    Pens_1stThree.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 103

Proud2Turn

Lesson Learned

My issue with the acrylic turned out to be a teachable moment. A side from needing to do a few dozen more to keep from having this issue... was able to smooth out the blank very nicely. Started with 60 grit to take out all of the humps and bumps. Moved up through the papers: 150, 220, & 400. Then I switched to polishing componds; first 2 were automotive and last one was Ultra Shine plastic polish. Pen ended up turning out nice.

Attachments

• Proud2Turn_AcrylicNo2.jpg
    Proud2Turn_AcrylicNo2.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 93

TonyL

Welcome from Alpharetta (30004)! Brand new to pen turning....my lathe is only 5 days old. Love to learn from you.

TonyL

Thank you.

Welcome to the IAP. The Georgia Chapter is having a meeting tomorrow at the Woodcraft store in Alpharetta. Hope you can make it.

Ben

I attended the one at Peach Tree last night. I rather work on some more tomorrow. Thank you for the welcome and reminder.

Last edited:

TonyL

Thank you Jim. I am only on pen number 6. mainly acrylics. Still trying to get those micro scratches out.

Top Bottom