New turner from Missouri

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DSallee

Hi everyone, I'm a new turner from SW Missouri. Just now getting set up with a Jet mini lathe (ordering next week :) ) so yea, I am a REALLY new newbee LOL

Looking forward to leaning from everyone here and getting started in turning! The wife can't wait either cause she LOVES pens.. LOL ... heck, I might even get her to start turning her own..:D

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodman928

Hi Dave and welcome.
I’m just up the road in Republic if your looking for a Jet try Ballew Saw & Tool in Springfield they carry the Jet, Shop Fox, General and Delta and have all of them in stock go in with cash and it will save you quite a bit of money. There is also a new store in Springfield that has some pen parts and blanks but I can’t remember the name of it maybe Edman2 will chime in here and tell us. It a nice little store.:D
Jay

JimB

Hi Dave. Welcome to the group. Spend as much time reading everything on here as you can because once you get your lathe you will want to spend all your time turning.

jhs494

Welcome Dave! You will find the IAP site full of useful info on penturning. Be sure and check out the library section it has many articles and tutorials that will help you get started.
Once you get some pens completed be sure and show them off in the SOYP section, it is always nice seeing new work and watching new members skills evolve.

doddman70

Welcome Dave!!! after i started turning pens about a month or so later my wife was getting bored and was standing around in the shop while i was turning so finally i aske her if she wanted to try it....... now we have 2 lathes with plans for another one. Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D get her involved it makes tool shoping a lot easier when she wants the same stuff!!!!!!:D

DSallee

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone... I'm really looking forward to turning my very first pen... been reading a lot on the forums the past month or so and am ready to get turnin'

The wife might even join the fun cause she loves pens AND loves making jewelry!

Dave

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Dave,
Welcome from a fellow pen turner in Southwest Missouri. Glad to have you on board. If you are just getting started you should look up Wood-n-Whimsies for some pen kits. They are located in Monett. Plus we have a new store in Springfield called the Wood Gallery that sells HUT products. Plus lots of great suppliers listed on this site. I'll PM you about an IAP picnic in August in Springfield. This is a great site with lots of information and inspiration! You're gonna love it!

DustyDenim

Hello Dave,
Welcome from a fellow penturner in Northeast Missouri.You will find a wealth of information on this website as I have over just the past 3 months since I learned about it.
For the edman2, could you also include me on your list for information about the upcoming IAP picnic in August in Springfield, Missouri. Since my father and I just returned from the Midwest Penturners Gathering in Champaigne, IL. yesterday, we would like to attend in Springfield also. Any info would be appreciated.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by DustyDenim

Hello Dave,

For the edman2, could you also include me on your list for information about the upcoming IAP picnic in August in Springfield, Missouri. Since my father and I just returned from the Midwest Penturners Gathering in Champaigne, IL. yesterday, we would like to attend in Springfield also. Any info would be appreciated.

Fred, I got you on the list. Check out this link for more info and more will follow this summer.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35044

DSallee

Thanks Everyone for the welcome ...

Edman2... I'm looking forward to attending my first IAP meet and meeting everyone... got it on the calendar :D

Dave

cigarman

Welcome to the addictition. I'm just down the road in Kansas about 30 miles from Joplin. If you have not been to Joplin lately there is a new Harpor Freight on Range Line just south of Seventh.

Top Bottom