New Turner from Mississippi!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lphoto

Hello everyone -

I am a new turner located in the northeastern corner of Mississippi. I was first exposed to wood turning when my parents gave me a Mattel wood worker kit in the first or second grade, which has been a little over 50 years ago. I remember my dad helping me turn a small baseball bat (4-5 inches long) using the kit. I've been hooked ever since but haven't touched a lathe again until about 3-4 months ago, when a local woodworker invited me over to his shop. I was hooked.

I'm currently buying everything I need to get going with pen turning including some blanks and kits as well as tools, etc. Basically, I"m doing things backwards since the lathe will be the last thing I get. I'm picking up a Jet 1221VS in early March.

I decided to start with pens because I've always loved the look and feel of a quality writing instrument and the cost seemed to be more to my liking until I can get deeper involved in it.

Lowry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome to IAP. NE MS - Corinth area? Iuka, Ripley, Booneville?

I am on the other side of N MS, just south of Memphis.

At the top of the IAP age is a 3 line blue header. ON the right side in the middle line is "Member Map". Click on it and see if there are any other pen turners in your general area. There are two in the New Albany area. There are more than is on the list as most people don't realize that we have a map.

Again: Welcome!

lphoto

At the top of the IAP age is a 3 line blue header. ON the right side in the middle line is "Member Map". Click on it and see if there are any other pen turners in your general area. There are two in the New Albany area. There are more than is on the list as most people don't realize that we have a map.

Thanks. I'm actually live in New Albany but have worked in Tupelo for most of the last 20 years. I really just sleep there. lol

lphoto

Welcome! Work hard to make pens that people want to use and the thank-you notes you'll receive will set your world on fire.

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been involved in fine art photography for many years and you are correct, those thank you notes are fantastic. I'm looking forward to really getting going.

lphoto

Thanks Hank. I'm just now getting a chance to really explore the site after getting signed up a few days ago. I'm in New Albany so I need to figure out who the other ones are in the area.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Lowry,

Send a PM to Tim Segler in New Albany. You can probably look him up by phone. We both have been members here since 2005, and we both get busy and then get on sporadically here.

When we both joined, I was living in Toyota City, Japan. I kept up with the creation of plant at Blue Springs almost since its inception. My wife and I were friends with one of the world wide planners for Toyota Motor Company who worked in the Number 1 Toyota Building in Toyota City.

I think this makes 3 pen turners from the New Albany area.

lphoto

Lowry,

Send a PM to Tim Segler in New Albany. You can probably look him up by phone. We both have been members here since 2005, and we both get busy and then get on sporadically here.

When we both joined, I was living in Toyota City, Japan. I kept up with the creation of plant at Blue Springs almost since its inception. My wife and I were friends with one of the world wide planners for Toyota Motor Company who worked in the Number 1 Toyota Building in Toyota City.

I think this makes 3 pen turners from the New Albany area.

Thanks Hank. Tim and I are supposed to chat on the phone tonight.

Top Bottom