New turner just starting!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi,

I have just started turning pens, so far 4 in total.
None of them belong to me anymore, the wife and kids claimed them before the finish could dry!:biggrin:

So far i am only working on the Streamline pen kit.
Very easy to turn and the results are quite good.
Boring when compared to the artworks i have seen on this site!
Some really fantastic craftsmen and women! out there!

Hope to learn a lot and contribute with time!

For equipment i have a 17" Sherline lathe.
I use it for my metal work and now for pens, so it turned out to be a good purchase!

Hope to meet some good people!

Andrew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Karin Voorhis

Welcome to the never turning back black hole of a new addiction as they told me no 12 steps to get out. You say 4 is what you have turned well we will all watch that number grow fast!!!!!!!! Stick around here. my first week they had me casting and I dream my nights of new creative ideas!!!!

el_d

Welcome Andrew,

Wish I would have gotten a metel lathe to start looks like you jumped over me as far as toys go:biggrin:

There are lots of good people here with LOTS of smarts.:wink:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Andrew! Its always nice to have another person to share the fun! Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

Always remember the Library has a great source of info

opie

Welcome Andrew!

Welcome...have turned pens for nearly 6 years...Always learning myself but please ask if you have any questions....It's always nice to avoid the "Would have been nice to know that" factor, lol....

Daniel

Welcome Andrew, We may not have many ideas on how to cure the addiction. But we make up for it with ways to feed it.

Jmhoff10500

Welcome to the never turning back black hole of a new addiction as they told me no 12 steps to get out. You say 4 is what you have turned well we will all watch that number grow fast!!!!!!!! Stick around here. my first week they had me casting and I dream my nights of new creative ideas!!!!

We might have to start a worldwide chapter of Penturners Anonymous...

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Andrew,

I have the Sherline's baby brother - a Taig. I also have a Rikon that does most of the work. I got started on the Taig 4 years ago.

Join in the fun here and post some picts of your work.

Top Bottom