New Turner in Central Ca.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MrWizard

Hello All,
Its only taken me three years to get my act together and final turn my first pen(Hickory). I was super amazed at how easy and fun it was. I gave it three coats of CA and assembled it with gun metal finish nib and clip, It looks awesome!
Then I tried some poplar blanks my wife got me and man a whole different animal, One was blond sap wood and the other greener heart wood, the sap wood didn't like the ca finish I tried to apply and after retooling it I tried a brown stain and man that was a mistake. The heart wood felt better after sanding and now that I have researched the Poplar wood I have a better understanding of what went wrong.
I guess its time to step back and start over. I've always loved wood turning, having learned from Jr.High school. It is almost magical to see an object appear from a piece of wood. I do my turning on a Mark V Shop Smith which my wife gave me as a Fathers day gift several years ago and I am still learning how to best use the machine and work all the attachments it came with. I'm not ready to start building furniture just yet, but I am sure my wife will find a way to guide me in that direction.

I look forward to chatting with any and all of you, I will have a million questions on how to use the lathe tools and how to extend the life of my tools, you know the basic stuff. But for now Just glad to have found the group.:cool:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Welcome Brad, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Charles

Top Bottom