New Turner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulStroik

Greetings All,

My name is Paul Stroik and I am from Central Wisconsin. I am so new to turning that I don't even own a lathe yet. I do have the Jet 1220vs on order though. Thought that would be a good unit to start with as I can't afford the Jet 1642vs or his big brother PM3520b

Recently retired and am involved in woodworking as a hobby. The past two years I have been Scrollsawing steadily. Got to talking with other Scrollers who had gotten into Turning. This peaked my interest and I realized that the small scraps of valuable wood stock could be salvaged for pens, miniature turning, small boxes/bowls. Took several Turning classes including Pen Turning and decided to take the leap. I have been watching this site for sometime now and felt it would be a worthwhile place to sign on to for information sharing.

So until my Lathe arrives I will be slowly accumulating the necessary tools. That price list has already exceeded what the Lathe will cost and keeps climbing. But then spending money on toys, er tools, is also one of my hobbies.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

igran7

Welcome to the group Paul. As you are finding out, the cost of the lathe is only the beginning!:D Hope to see some of your work soon as the lathe arrives.

ElMostro

Welcome....and...just have in mind that all the tools and surfaces you use for flatwork now will soon become storage areas for pen blanks and turning tools...think I'm kidding? Take a picture of your shop now and then again 60 days after you start turning...

WELCOME TO THE VORTEX!!:D

We were just discussing your new Jet 1220 VS on another thread, Paul. Maybe you can help us. Is that baby continuously variable speed or is it a three-step variable speed? And, when do you expect to take delivery?

Oh, yeah. Welcome. :)

PaulStroik

Good question ProudPoppa. I emailed the company with that question. Osolnik Mach. advertising notes it as a continuously variable speed operation which I understood to be no belts involved. I'll post in tools section when I get an answer.

Originally posted by PaulStroik

Good question ProudPoppa. I emailed the company with that question. Osolnik Mach. advertising notes it as a continuously variable speed operation which I understood to be no belts involved. I'll post in tools section when I get an answer.

We saw that on the Osolnik Machine web sit, too, Paul. But, we're skeptical. We hope it's continuously variable. It sure would be something at that price. Even so, I'm green. You've got yourself a darn nice lathe coming with a lot of nice features. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

jhs494

Welcome Paul. It is great to have another new member.
Stay warm and be sure and show off those new creations once you get your lathe.

louisbry

Welcome to the group, Paul! Be sure to keep that first pen. They say that the first pen costs a lot but the cost goes down the more you turn. :D:D

Fred

Welcome to the most informative Forum on pens.

As louis staed above your first pens will cost quite a bit. The rest of them bring down the price with each one that you complete. Of course the savings get spent when you buy new tools and accessories, etc.

BTW, there is no cure to this addiction we all seem to have and we love to infect new comers too! :D

Top Bottom