New from Tulsa, OK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sheddy

I had a friend get me started in pen turning. I am still a beginner. Only 3 months turning. Have been making Wall Street and Bolt Action. Anxious to learn about other fun pens to make. I have been turning wood and acrylic. Finally have my workshop setup and always look forward to working on a pen. Glad to be a part of this group and expand my knowledge from my fellow members. My biggest problem is getting the bit started in the middle of the blank and then have it centered on the other end. Hope I can learn about a solution.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas.

In general, you don't need to be too concerned about the bit not being centered at the bottom end of the blank, particularly on single-tube pens. It's nearly impossible to get a perfectly centered hole regardless of your technique, which is why the ends need to be squared to the tube with a pen mill or sander. As long as you have enough meat left on the end of the blank to turn it to the proper size, you are usually ok.

Careful centered drilling is usually only critical if you are using thin blanks (1/2" or so) or specially patterned or segmented blanks.

All that being said, how do you drill your blanks - drill press or lathe? Depending on your drilling method, there are some things you can do to get the best results & we'll be glad to offer some suggestions. The main factors though are good quality, sharp bits and drilling slowly

Top Bottom