New to site and a lesson learned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonto

I've been watching for a few weeks and learned quite a bit just reading through various threads, many thanks. I'm in MN enjoying mid-20's making it tolerable to play in the garage getting some blanks ready to turn. This AM was using the pen mill on a drill press to trim and blew out two blanks (one maple and one dymondwood) and was bummed but thought it through and spent five minutes cleaning the cutter on the mill and running a hard stone against the flat edge of the four cutters and that made a giant difference and I now have fifteen sets of blanks to turn over the holidays, mostly slimline but I will try cigar pens next. Great site, lots to learn.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by txbatons
<br />Welcome, Paul. Looking forward to seeing your work. The pen mill is my least favorite step in pen making!

Particularly true of diamondwood.[:(!][:(!]

Welcome Paul!!![:D][:D][:D]

rherrell

Welcome Tonto! Hi O' Silver, AWAY!(somebody was gonna do it, might as well be me!)

I just realized that anyone under 50 doesn't know what the heck I'm talking about!

toolcrazy

Originally posted by rherrell
<br />Welcome Tonto! Hi O' Silver, AWAY!(somebody was gonna do it, might as well be me!)

I just realized that anyone under 50 doesn't know what the heck I'm talking about!

Hey! I'm under 50 and I know who you're talking about. [:D]

Welcome to the site.

Randy_

Welcome to IAP and a tip or two.

It is way too easy to apply too much force to a pen blank when using a pen mill in a drill press in the normal manner. You don't want to mill the blank as if you were drilling it. Rather you need to apply the blank to the mill by hand without moving the quill at all. Setting the speed at only a few hundred RPMS is also a good idea. Personally, I use a VS cordless drill which gives me a lot more controL of the process.

.....spent five minutes cleaning the cutter on the mill and running a hard stone against the flat edge of the four cutters.....
I'm not sure I understand your sharpening method; but it is possible to "sharpen" your mill to the point where it will no longer cut. Take a look at this article to be sure you are doing it properly.

SHARPENING A BARREL TRIMMER

karlkuehn

Banned
Hi and a big welcome to you! This site has changed my whole aspect on turning, and after browsing and joining many of the forums out there, this one has become my second home. There's so much knowledge in the archives, it's just amazing, even for a seasoned vet!

I think the secret is that there's enough of us wackos out here posting crazy ideas and alternative methods (most of the time based on innovation due to lack of resources or tools) that you're bound to find something that you'd never have thought of even on a good (or bad) day! I know I have!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom